This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Petersen & Alpers (German Shipping Company)

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: petersen & alpers |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Petersen & Alpers] image by Jorge Candeias, 27 Dec 2004 See also:

Petersen & Alpers

The flag is another quartered per saltire, of red and white, with black serifed initials in the white quarters: P. in the left, A. in the right. And the caption seems to read Petersen & Alpers, although this last word is somewhat doubtful.
Jorge Candeias, 27 Dec 2004

No doubts, whatsoever: Petersen & Alpers, Hamburg, according to Wolter's See und Seefahrt (1968); that book shows the flag without dots.
Jarig Bakker, 27 Dec 2004

Towage service of Hamburg, complete with flag on their home page.
James Dignan, 28 Dec 2004

Petersen & Alpers #2

[Petersen & Alpers #2] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 Feb 2007

It is a white and red flag divided by saltire. In ist white fields are black capital letters without dots and serifs "P"(hoist) and "A"(fly).
Petersen & Alpers, see also company homepage. Info: "The shipping company, now in its seventh generation is managed by Peter Lindenau with its headquarters at St. Pauli Landungsbrücken, Hamburg. Petersen & Alpers is a member of the Joint Service of the tugboat Companies for the port of Hamburg and possesses a fleet of five modern, fully-serviced and maintained tugboats with a bollard pull of 30 to 51 tonnes. The tugs on the river Elbe in Hamburg are: the MICHEL, WILHELMINE and HANS. Two additional tugboats, JOHANNA and ISE have been chartered to a tugboat operator in Klaipeda, Lithuania. 20 employees work at P & A today. The shipping company offers a 24 hour service with an excellent level of service and very flexible and short call-out times.

Petersen & Alpers shipping company is the oldest family-owned and run service enterprise in the port of Hamburg. The company was founded on 6 September 1793 and has been involved in shipping and the mercantile community for more than 200 years. With the founding, Michael Christian Petersen took the citizenís oath as a Master Mariner. In 1818, his son Johann Michael led the company into its next generation and working together with Andreas Heinrich Alpers, he made an impact in the port of Hamburg. Then in its third generation, Jan Petersen founded the offices of Petersen & Alpers in 1859 which he entered into the commercial register in 1877. Jan Petersen ordered the shipping companyís first own tugboat in 1879 - the "Petersen & Alpers" with 170 HP."
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 Feb 2007