Last modified: 2015-08-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: taberno |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Taberno - Image from the Simbolos de Almería website, 9 May 2014
The municipality of Taberno (1,130 inhabitants in 2013; 4,400 ha; municipal website) is located 120 km north of Almería.
Taberno most probably developed around a tavern (taberna). The establishment of the village did not occur earlier than in the 16th century, since Father Tapia, in Historia de Almería, describes the area as deserted. Moreover, the parish archives of Vélez-Rubio do not include any record of birth, marriage or death in a place named Taberno. A recent study by María Dolores Segura del Pino on the resettlement of the district of Vélez does not mention Taberno, either.
Accordingly, Taberno must have been established in the 17th century. The Ensanada Cadaster (mid 18th century) lists Taberno and Chirivel as the most remote settlements belonging to the town of Vélez-Rubio. The first chuech in the village was built in 1769.
The municipality of Taberno was established in 1839; its territory, matching the parish of Taberno, included the settlements of Los Pardos, Los Llanos and Los Mundos. The village of Santopetar was transferred from Santa María de Nieva to Tabernos in 1855, upon request of the villagers.
The flag of Taberno, adopted on 29 December 2011 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 16 January 2012 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 24 January 2012 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 9 February 2012 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 27, p. 62. (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Panel in proportions 2:3. Tierced at hoist embattled wavy, at hoist white with an almond tree in upper canton, at fly green with the coat of arms in lower canton.
The flag was inaugurated on 18 March 2012 (photos).
The coat of arms of Taberno, adopted on 5 September 1986, is prescribed by Decree No. 145, adopted on 3 June 1987 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 6 July 1987 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 59, p. 3,209 (text). This was confirmed by a Decree adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Azure a sun radiant or, 2. Argent an almond tree vert fructed of the same. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The upper part of the coat of arms represent the limpidity of the sky upon the municipality. In the lower part of the shield is represented an almond tree, the traditional crop and main source of income for the municipality.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Almería (PDF file)]
Ivan Sache & Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 May 2014