Last modified: 2016-04-15 by ivan sache
Keywords: bohoyo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Bohoyo - Image by Ivan Sache, 5 April 2011
The municipality of Bohoyo (339 inhabitants in 2010; 7,387 ha; municipal website) is located in the southwest of the Province of Ávila, on the border with the Province of Salamanca, 100 km of Ávila.
Bohoyo was mentioned for the first time in 1331, when King Alfonso IX
granted the domain of Valdecornejo to Alfonso de la Cerda, excluding
Bohoyo, previously granted to his "loyal chamber-man", Fernando
Rodríguez Pecha. In 1401, the chamber-man's grant grant-nephew sold
Bohoyo to García Álvarez de Toledo, the 3rd lord of Valdecornejo; the sale was confirmed in April of the same year by King Henry III. García Álvarez de Toledo, the 1st Duke of Alba and the 5th lord of Valdecornejo divided his domain in five villages each granted to one of his five sons; following his death in 1488, the elder heir, Fadrique, and the junior heir, García, did not agree on the
interpretation of their father's last will; accordingly, the domain of
Valdecornejo, kept by Fadrique, was severed from the new domains of
Bohoyo and La Horcada, granted to García.
The 4th and last lord of Bohoyo, Antonio de Toledo y Dávila, was made Marquis of Bohoyo by King Philip III; his death in 1631 launched a new conflict for the succession. Five years later, the Valladolid Royal Chancellory granted Bohoyo and La Horcada to Antonio Álvarez de Toledo y Beamont, Duke of Alba, who reunited the domain of Valdecornejo. When the Duchess of Alba, María Teresa del Pilar Cayetana, died without heirs in 1802, the Duchy was inherited by the Duke of Berwick; according to the law, Valdecornejo, including Bohoyo, was reincorporated to the Royal domain. In 1816, the Royal and Supreme Court recognized that Bohoya, once independent from Valdecornejo and not included in the original Royal grant, was to be retroceded to the Duke of Berwick y Alba.
Ivan Sache, 5 April 2011
The flag and arms of Bohoyo (municipal website) are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 27 April 1998 by the Provincial Government, signed on 28 April 1998 by the President of the Government, and published on 27 May 1998 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 98 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular flag, with proportions 1:1. Vertically tierced, 1. Azure, 2. White with the municipal coat of arms of Bohoyo, 3. Vert.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Gules a Marquis' coronet or, 2. Checky azure and argent, grafted in base azure a Spanish goat on the base of a mount vert in base water waves azure and argent. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.
The colors of the flag are taken from the municipal arms and represent
the environment of Bohoyo: blue for the waters and sky, white for the
mountains covered with snow during a great part of the year, and green
for the pastures.
On the arms, the Marquis' coronet recalls the Marquisate of Bohoyo, founded in the 17th century. "Checky azure and argent" was the arms of the Álvarez de Toledo, Dukes of Alba. The landscape represented in the grafted base is characteristic of the municipality; the mountain goat represents the local fauna.
The Royal Academy of History found the proposed coat of arms very
complicated and unbalanced. Some elements, without any justification,
should be suppressed: the crown and the checky pieces from the 2nd and
3rd quarters, respectively, and the tree fructed from the 4th quarter.
The arms would be much more compliant with good style if keeping only
the 1st quarter with the mounts represented in a schematic manner,
without any claim to represent the Sierra de Gredos.
There is no objection to the proposed flag but the rejected coat of arms, which postpones its approval.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 1999, 196, 1: 164]
Ivan Sache, 12 February 2015mailme.html