Last modified: 2014-12-28 by ivan sache
Keywords: casillas |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Casillas - Image by Ivan Sache & Eduardo Panizo Gómez (Vexilla Hispanica website), 19 April 2011
The municipality of Casillas (850 inhabitants in 2010; 1,196 ha; municipal website) is located in the southeast of Ávila Province, on the border with the Madrid Community, 75 km of Ávila.
Casillas was originally known as Casiellas, casiellas being traditional straw huts used by the local shepherds for living and storing grain and hay. On 14 October 1393, King Henry III chartered the Free State of La Adrada, to which Casillas was incorporated.
Ivan Sache, 19 April 2011
The flag and arms of Casillas are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 14 August 1998 by the Provincial Government and published on 2 September 1998 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 168 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular flag, with proportions 2:3, made of two equal vertical stripes, at hoist white with a red house, at fly blue.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Argent a chestnut eradicated vert cantonned with two houses gules, 2. Azure a castle or port and windows gules. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
On the coat of arms, the chestnut represents the most common tree of the Sierra de Gredos range, where Casillas is located. The houses (casas), in the Castilian-Leonese colors, make the arms canting.
The Royal Academy of History validated the coat of arms but rejected the flag, because the houses are shown in a different colour on the flag and on the coat of arms. The colour of the houses on the flag is not mentioned and must have been subsequently corrected, since the two symbols show red / gules houses (Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 197, 2: 362, 2000).
Ivan Sache, 14 January 2014