This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Cepeda la Mora (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2016-04-15 by ivan sache
Keywords: cepeda la mora |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Cepeda la Mora - Image by Ivan Sache, 15 February 2015

See also:

Presentation of Cepeda la Mora

The municipality of Cepeda la Mora (87 inhabitants in 2014; 3,100 ha; El Rollo local association website) is located in the south of the Province of Ávila, 45 km of Ávila.

Cepeda la Mora was established in the late 14th-early 15th centuries during the "late re-settlement" of the mountainous areas surrounding Ávila. La Mora was mentioned in the late 14th century as the site of establishment of new pastures through burning of the wild vegetation. Big sectors of the mountains were also cleared to collect resin and produce charcoal; such areas were called zepedas. A hut was reported in the place in 1414, while Cepeda de la Mora was mentioned as a settlement in 1464. In the 16th century, the village belonged to the Community of the Town and the Land of Villatoro, transferred in the middle of the 18th century to the Marchioness of Velada. The village then counted 60 inhabitants. When granted the status of villa in 1795, Cepeda was inhabited by 87 households.

Ivan Sache, 15 February 2015

Symbols of Cepeda la Mora

The flag and arms of Cepeda la Mora are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 20 September 2014 by the Municipal Council (unanimously), signed on 29 September 2014 by the Mayor, and published on 10 October 2014 in the official gazette of the Province of Ávila, No. 144, p. 11 (text).
The symbols, which were designed by Eduardo Duque Pindado, are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular with proportions 2:3, made of two vertical stripes of equal size, green and blue.
Coat of arms: Shield in Spanish shape. Per pale, 1. Azure a pillory argent, 2. Vert the Maragato cave proper. The whole surmounted with a Spanish Royal crown.

The pillory, erected in 1797 on the village's main square, recalls the title of villa granted to Cepeda la Mora in 1796.
The Maragato cave was the den of the rascal Pedro Piñero, aka Maragato (b. 1766 in Andiñuela, Maragatería district, Province of León). From the cave dominating the road connecting Arenas de San Pedro and Ávila, Maragato prepared attacks against travellers and traders and watched police chasing him. Francisco Goya painted a series of small comic paintings depicting the arrest of Maragato, a popular character of the time.

Ivan Sache, 15 February 2015