This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Pajares de Adaja (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2014-12-27 by ivan sache
Keywords: pajares de adaja | ávila |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Presentation of Pajares de Adaja

The municipality of Pajares de Adaja (194 inhabitants in 2005; 2,300 ha; municipal website) is located in the northeast of Ávila Province.

Pajares de Adaja was a place of straw (paja) resupply and rest for transhumant shepherds. Until the early 20th century, the village was known as Pajares, "de Adaja", recalling the location close to river Adaja, having been added subsequently.
Archeological remains show that the area was settled some 3,500 years ago. The today's village is located in the region of Moraña ("Moors' land"), reconquerred by northern Christians. In 1490-1500, Francisco de Pajares was Procurator of the Community of the Town and Land of Ávila; at the time, Pajares de Adaja was the capital of an administrative division grouping 55 villages.

Ivan Sache, 23 December 2010

Symbols of Pajares de Adaja

The flag (photo) and arms of Pajares de Adaja are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 22 May 2004 by the Municipal Council, signed on 28 June 2004 by the Mayor, and published on 14 July 2004 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 134, p. 10,031 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular flag in proportions 2:3, white with a blue wavy stripe, of 1/6 the flag's hoist, from upper hoist to lower fly, the fly triangle charged with a red straw hut, the hoist triangle charged with three green spikes.
Coat of arms: Per bend azure fimbriated argent, 1. Gules two straw huts gules per bend sinister, 2. Vert three wheat spikes or. The shield surmonted with a Royal crown closed.

The straw huts are typical pajares, which gave their name to the municipality. The wheat spikes represent cereal growing. The blue wavy stripe represents river Adaja, the white fimbriation representing the Royal Toledo Way [aka Royal Segovia Way, a 500-km transhumance road linking La Rioja to Badajoz] and separating azure and gules on the coat of arms. Red recalls adobe, green the fields and blue the river's waters (municipal website).

Ivan Sache, 23 December 2010