Last modified: 2016-04-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: cerezo de río tirón |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Cerezo de Río Tirón (653 inhabitants in 2009; 6,370 ha; unofficial website) is located in the east of the Province of Burgos, on the border with La Rioja, 60 km of Burgos.
Cerezo de Río Tirón is built on the site of the town of
Segisamunculum, founded by the Celtiberian Autrigones tribe; the town
was so important that it minted its own coins, portraying a riding
warrior. After the Roman conquest, the place was crossed by the way
that linked Astorga and Tarragona; the San Ciprián bridge is one of the few genuine Roman bridges kept in the Province of Burgos. Cerezo has been identified with Cesarea, the birth place of St. Formerio, by Mateo Anguiano Nieva (Compendio historial de la provincia de La Rioja, 1701); accordingly, Formerio was martyred in 277 during the Aurelian persecution and his relics were transferred to Bañares (La Rioja).
Cerezo was subsequently fiercely disputed by the Muslims and the Christians; the cephalophorous saint St. Vitores (c. 800-850) was beheaded by the Arabs. Cerezo de Río Tirón was eventually incorporated in 891 to the Christian domains and became a border post, defended by Count Gonzalo Téllez.
In 1151, King Alfonso VII granted a charter to the town, which became one of the most prosperous places in Castile. Andrés Gutiérrez (1459-1503), born in Cerezo, was appointed Abbot of San Salvador de Oña in 1495/1496; a noted writer and humanist, he published in 1485 his Ars Grammatica, the first book printed in Burgos.
Ivan Sache, 16 February 2011
The flag and arms of Cerezo de Río Tirón are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 22 March 2001 by the Municipal Council, signed on 23 March 2001 by the Mayor, and published on 9 April 2001 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 71, p. 5,891 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular, with proportions 1:1. White. From the hoist, three gyrons, green, red and blue, at 1/10 from the edges, of depth 6/10. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Argent a tower gules masoned sable surrounded by two trees vert fructed or terraced vert, in the chief's cantons two scallops gules placed over two batons sable per saltire also in chief an eight-pointed star azure, in base a wave azure fimbriated or. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
The Royal Academy of History found the proposal complicated and
excessively charged. The addition of a fimbriated fess wavy to the
base (the submitted design does not match the written description)
does not comply with the traditional rules of design of coat of arms.
The superimposition of a large-sized scallop over two smaller batons
is obsolete and illogical. The proposed coat of arms, and,
accordingly, the proposed flag, should therefore be modified.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 2003, 200, 2: 171]
Ivan Sache, 16 February 2015mailme.html