Last modified: 2019-01-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: frandovínez | burgos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Frandovínez - Image from the municipal website, slightly modified, 31 May 2011
The municipality of Frandovínez (106 inhabitants in 2010; 858 ha; municipal website) is located 15 km of Burgos.
Frandovínez was mentioned for the first time in 963, when Fronilde transferred his goods located in Frandovitiz to the San Pedro de Cardeña monastery. A document dated 1100, relating the trial by ordeal in a case opposing Frandovínez and Viyuela to Buniel for the possession of some pastures, is considered as one of the oldest texts written in Castilian Romance language.
In 1328, Blanca González, a servant of Infante Blanca, transferred all her goods in Frandovínez to the Las Huelgas Royal monastery (Burgos); in 1352, the Becerro de las Behetrías lists the village as an abadengo (abbot's domain) shared among the Las Huelgas monastery, the King's Hospital (Burgos) and the Order of the Temple, the King keeping some specific rights on the village.
In 1555, Frandovínez was reincorporated to the Royal domain and immediately sold to Juan de Santo Domingo, lord of Estépar and Tardajos; the village's ordinances, released in 1569, were confirmed by the subsequent lords, from the Manrique de Luna, Baeza and Castromonte lineages.
Frandovínez is the birth place of Francisco Pérez González (b. 1947), Bishop of Osmo-Soria (1995-2003), Military Archbishop of Spain (2003-2007) and Archbishop of Pamplona and Tudela (2007).
Ivan Sache, 31 May 2011
The flag and arms of Frandovínez (municipal website) are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 13 December 2007 by the Municipal Council, signed on 2 January 2008 by the Mayor, and published on 14 January 2008 in the official gazette
of Castilla y León, No. 8, p. 788 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular flag, divided in two white stripes broadly separated and placed in a diagonal pattern, the remaining field red. In the middle of the flag, between the white stripes, is placed the coat of arms of Frandovínez.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Gules a lion rampant or crowned of the same against rocks vert watered by the sea (arms of the Santo Domingo), 2a. Gules two cauldrons checky or and sable with seven snake's head vert issuant from the handles (arms of the Manrique), 2b. Quarterly, 1. and 4. [Gules] a castle [or port and windows azure], 2 and 3. [Gules] a lion rampant [or] crowned [of the same], an escutcheon [gules] with a lion rampant [or crowned of the same].
On the flag, the two red stripes symbolize rivers Arlanzón and Úrbel, which water the two plains of the municipality, Vega de Arriba (the Upper Plain) and Vega de Abajo (the Lower Plain).
The coat of arms, according to Francisco Oñate, was the arms of the Santo Domingo de Tardajos.
Ivan Sache, 31 May 2011