Last modified: 2016-04-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: pedrosa del príncipe |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Pedrosa del Príncipe - Image by Ivan Sache, 24 December 2010
The municipality of Pedrosa del Príncipe (183 inhabitants in 2009; 2,841 ha; unofficial website) is located in the west of the Province of Burgos, 50 km of Burgos.
Pedrosa del Príncipe was mentioned for the first time in a document dated 19 March 1043, under the Latin name of "Petresa que dicitur de la Ponte" (Pedrosa - "a stony place" - near the Bridge); it is
possible that the village developed near a stone bridge built by a
local lord in the 11th century, but this assumption is not supported
by any historical evidence. In the 16th century, the village was known
as Pedrosa de Socastro ("under the castle"), referring to the village
and castle of Castrojeriz, located 6 km of the village.
Known since 1551, the name of Pedrosa del Príncipe was fixed in 1656. The prince referred to in the village's name is Prince Philip, later King Philip II; the change in the name probably means that Pedrosa seceded from Castrojeriz before 1556, Philip II's coronation year, and purchased from the king the status of Royal town. The perron (rollo de justicia) of Pedrosa del Príncipe, which probably replaced an old pillory used to expose sentenced people, symbolizes the status of Royal town, being the symbol of the agreement between the villagers and the Royal power.
Ivan Sache, 24 December 2010
The flag and arms of Pedrosa del Príncipe are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 6 February 2004 by the Municipal Council, signed on 11 February 2004 by the Mayor, and published on 12 March 2004 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 50, p. 3,468 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular or 1:1. Three horizontal stripes, the first red with a height of 2/10, the second white with a height of 6/10 and the third blue with the same height as the first. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Arms of Castile in canton a Prince's crown and three six-pointed stars or 2 + 1, 2. Azure a perron argent with four steps, column and capital ensigned with a cross, surrounded with two spikes or per fess and a grape of the same in canton sinister a scallop or, grafted in base argent two fesses wavy azure. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown.
Ivan Sache, 24 December 2010mailme.html