Last modified: 2016-04-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: peral de arlanza |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Peral de Arlanza (167 inhabitants in 2009; 2,903 ha; municipal website) is located on the border with the Province of Palencia, 50 km of Burgos.
Peral was mentioned for the first time in 1048, as Peral la Villa, on
a parchment kept in the San Pedro de Arlanza monastery. However, the
settlement is at least one century older since the lower valley of
Arlanza was resettled in the early 10th centuries by Mozarab colonists
coming either directly from Andalusia or from León.
Peral belonged to the alfoz (group of villages) of Palenzuela. The village developed around a fortified manor set up by King Henry II to watch river Arlanza and the access to Palenzuela. In 1074, King Alfonso VI granted a charter (fuero) to Palenzuela and its alfoz, including Peral.
In 1173, the wealthy Dame Sancha de Frías offered her goods in Peral to the nuns' monastery of San Salvador de Moral; Dame Sancha also founded the big Norbertine monastery of Bujedo, located near Miranda de Ebro. Another landlord from Peral, García Fernández, offered in 1228 his goods to the Cistercian monastery of Villamayor de los Montes. Nearly extinct in the 14th century (four families in 1339; one inhabitant left in 1350), Peral re-emerged at the end of the 14th century. Later on, King Philip II sold Peral, granted the title of villa, to Juan de Curiel de la Torre.
Ivan Sache, 10 January 2011
The flag and arms of Peral de Arlanza are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 10 October 2002 and 26 April 2003 by the Municipal Council, signed on 29 April 2003 by the Mayor, and published on 12 May 2003 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 88, p. 6,935 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular, diagonally divided from upper fly to lower hoist. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Argent, a tree eradicated vert fructed or. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
The original Decree was amended by a Decree adopted on 23 May 2003 by the Municipal Council, signed by the Mayor on 27 May 2003 and published on 5 June 2003 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 106, p. 8,316 (text). The description of the flag was completed - the colors of the fields were "forgotten" in the first Decree! - as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular, diagonally divided from upper fly to lower hoist, the upper part green (or vert) and the lower part yellow (or or). In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
The tree shown on the coat of arms must be a pear tree (peral).
Ivan Sache, 10 January 2011mailme.html