Last modified: 2016-04-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: quintana del pidio | burgos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Quintana del Pidio (183 inhabitants in 2009; 1,074 ha; municipal website) is located 70 km of Burgos.
Quintana del Pidio was mentioned for the first time in 1037, when Dame Mayor transferred several of her properties to the Silos monastery, including those located in the village of Quintana. It is believed that the village was founded by the Counts of Castile when they marched against river Duero, then the border with the Moorish states; the whole reconquerred right bank of the river was granted to Castilian colonists, organized in settlements supervized by counts. At the end of the 12th century, King of Castile Alfonso VIII transferred Quintana to the Silos Monastery; the former realengo (royal domain) remained an abadengo (abbey domain) until 1637, when granted the status of village. However, the monks remained present in the village until 1835.
Quintana del Pidio is the birth place of Blessed Ciriaco María Sancha y Hervás (1833-1909), Bishop of Ávila (1882) and Madrid-Alcalá (1886). After having organized in 1888 the First National Catholic Congress, Sancha was appointed Archbishop of Valencia (1892), celebrating in 1893 in the town the National Eucharistic Congress. Named Cardinal in 1894 by Pope Leo XIII, Sancha was appointed in 1898 Primate Archbishop of Toledo and Patriarch of West Indies, recalling his social activities in Cuba (1862-1878), which gained him the nickname of "Father of the Poor".
Ivan Sache, 27 February 2011
The flag and arms of Quintana del Pidio are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 23 July 2001 by the Municipal Council, signed on 24 July 2001 by the Mayor, and published on 10 August 2001 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 156, p. 12,267 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular flag, with proportions 1:1, charged with a green and white saltire of 1.0 [most probably, 0.1] in height, over red (upper and lower triangles) and yellow (lateral triangles). In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Or a local pine vert eradicated fructed or ensigned with an eagle sable, 2. Gules three royal crowns open 2 + 1 a crozier of the same, grafted in base, a bunch of grapes sable leaved vert. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.
These arms express the natural environment of Quintana del Pidio, with trees and birds of prey. The eagle also represents the valiance of the local celebrities, such as Arpidio and Cardinal Sancha. The three crowns and Santo Domingo de Silos crozier acknowledge the positive influence of the Benedictine abbey over Quintana; eventually, the bunch of grapes represents the quality and refinement of the local wines, sources of wealth for the villagers.
Quite unusually in Castilla y León, the official Decree includes the verbose explanation of the coat of arms.
Ivan Sache, 27 February 2011mailme.html