Last modified: 2016-04-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: ríocavado de la sierra | burgos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Ríocavado de la Sierra (60 inhabitants in 2009; 4,332 ha; municipal website) is located 80 km of Burgos.
Ríocavado de la Sierra is located 1,150 m asl on the southern slope of the Manquillo Pass, which separates the basins of rivers Arlanza and
Arlanzón; the latter river has its source on the territory of Ríocavado.
Probably founded in the early 10th century, Ríocavado was mentioned for the first time in 1028. Incorporated into the alfoz (group of villages) of Lara, Ríocavado was subsequently transferred to the alfoz of Barbadillo del Pez. During the Muslim period, Ríocavado, in spite of being located on a road used by the armies, was indeed a safe place, protected by deep forests crowded with bears and wolves. In 1028, the Kingdom of Navarre owned a big estate in Ríocavado and de facto ruled the village, together with the San Pedro de Arlanza monastery. In 1083, Knight Pedro Fernández granted his goods in Ríocavado to the San Pedro de Cardeña monastery, which would rule the village's church until 1835.
In the Middle Ages, Ríocavado was a famous hunting place. King Alfonso XI described the place, as "Río Cavado", in his book La Monterí. In 1352, Ríocavado was listed among the possessions of Pedro Fernández de Velasco, Count of Haro, Duke of Frías, Constable of Castile and head of one of the most powerful lineages of Spain.
Ivan Sache, 29 January 2011
The flag of Ríocavado de la Sierra is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 10 April 2002 by the Municipal Council, signed on 6 May 2002 by the Mayor, and published on 24 May 2002 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 99, p. 6,799 (text - the municipality is mentioned there as "Riocabado de la Sierra").
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular or with 1:1 proportions. On a white field, three gyrons of 2/10 the flag's hoist, red, green and yellow. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Ivan Sache, 29 January 2011mailme.html