Last modified: 2016-04-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: tamarón |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Tamarón - Image from the Escudos y Banderas de la Provincia de Burgos website, 27 February 2014
The municipality of Tamarón (47 inhabitants in 2009; 1,566 ha) is located 20 km of Burgos.
The Battle of Tamarón opposed on 30 August, 1 September or 4 September 1037 the Count of Castile Ferdinando Sánchez to his brother-in-law, the King of León Vermudo III. Helped by his brother García Sánchez, King of Navarre, Ferdinando defeated and killed Vermudo; he was subsequently crowned King of León as Ferdinand I.
The exact location of the Battle of Tamarón is disputed: the early chronicles say supra vallem Tamarón, "over the valley of Tamarón". The other possible site is the village of Támara de Campos, located in Palencia Province.
The Marquisate of Tamarón was created on 4 April 1712 by King Philip V for Diego Pablo de Mora-Figueroa Miranda y Morales, Knight of the Order of Calatrava. The writer and diplomat (ambassador of Spain in the United Kingdom, 1999-2004) Santiago de Mora-Figueroa y Williams (b. 1941) is the 11th Marquis of Tamarón.
Ivan Sache, 7 February 2011
The flag and arms of Tamarón, adopted on 7 September 2000 by the Municipal Council, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 28 December 2000 by the Burgos Provincial Government, signed on 8 January 2001 by the President of the Government, and published on 22 January 2001 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 15, p. 1,463 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular flag, with proportions 1:1. Four-colored. The field yellow charged with three gyrons from the hoist to the opposite side, the upper gyron red, the middle gyron black and the lower gyron green. Separated by 1/10 [of the flag's hoist] and 2/10 in the base. In the middle is located the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Gules the arms of Castile ensigned with three spikes or, 2. Sable two lances or per saltire surrounded by two Royal crowns of the same, in base an ewe argent passant, inescutcheon of the Marquisate of Tamarón (1. Gules a tower or, 2. Or a fig leaf vert). The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
Ivan Sache, 7 February 2011mailme.html