Last modified: 2016-04-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: villanueva de argaño |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Villanueva de Argaño - Image by "Asqueladd" (Wikimedia Commons), 21 April 2015
The municipality of Villanueva de Argaño (117 inhabitants in 2009; 792 ha; municipal website) is located 20 km of Burgos.
Villanueva de Argaño was mentioned for the first time on a document
dated 4 November 1420, by which García Fernández, Count of Lara, transferred several villages to the Palacios monastery. "del Argaño" refers to a Marian sanctuary located in a placed known as Soto de Argaño, close to the medieval village of Garagaño; in the 12th century, Garagaño; was merged with Ventas Nuevas to form Villanueva de Argaño.
The Virgen de Argaño sanctuary was inhabited for a while by the painter Juan Narduck. Born in Naples c. 1526 and better known as Friar Juan de la Miseria, the painter started a pilgrimage on the Way of St. James and stopped in the sanctuary, living in a hut close to the chapel. Later on, he met St. Teresa of Jesus and painted her portray, which the saint did not enjoy at all.
Ivan Sache, 26 January 2011
The flag and arms of Villanueva de Argaño are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 11 June 2002 by the Municipal Council, signed on 16 June 2002 by the Mayor, and published on 2 August 2002 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 149, p. 10,358 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular flag, 1:1. On a yellow panel two blue horizontal waves of 1/10 the flag's hoist on top and bottom, in the middle the municipal coat of arms of Villanueva de Argaño.
Coat of arms: Rectangular with proportions 6:5, rounded-off in base. Per pale, 1. Or three fesses of adjacent houses argent fimbriated sable port and windows azure, 2. Argent three cinquefoils gules in upper an lower cantons two bends sinister wavy azure. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed [detailed description skipped].
Ivan Sache, 26 January 2011mailme.html