Last modified: 2016-04-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: valluércanes |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Valluércanes - Image from the Escudos y Banderas de la Provincia de Burgos website, 3 March 2014
The municipality of Valluércanes (90 inhabitants in 2009; 2,795 ha; unofficial webpage) is located 75 km of Burgos.
Valluércanes was mentioned for the first time on 27 August 1114, as Villa Vallorcanis, referring to the narrow gorge (Latin, horca) made by river Arto and used as a secondary route between La Rioja and Bureba. The castle of Valluércanes, disputed between the Kings of Castile and Navarre, was eventually incorporated to Castile in 1177. After the settling of the dispute, the castle was abandoned and ruined. In 1179, King Alfonso VIII swapped with the monastery of Santa María de Nájera in Valluércanes for Torrecilla de Cameros to increase his domains in La Rioja. Later on, the village was divided into two boroughs, the King's borough and the Count's borough, eventually owned by the Duke of Híjar.
Ivan Sache, 14 December 2010
The flag and arms of Valluércanes are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 1 June 2005 by the Municipal Council and published on 19 July 2005 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 139, p. 12,798 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Castillan, quadrangular, flanked vertically, at hoist and fly blue (heraldically, azure), the rest of the field red (heraldically, gules), in the center the full coat of arms of Valluércanes.
Coat of arms: Flanky azure a six-arched bridge argent masoned sable parapeted of wood ensigned with a bell embattled or in base waves azure and argent. In the gules cantons, dexter quadrangular baptismal fonts sinister a spike ensigned with a sickle per fess pointing towards the point of honor. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
Ivan Sache, 14 December 2010mailme.html