Last modified: 2016-04-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: villariezo | burgos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Villariezo - Image by Ivan Sache, 31 March 2011
The municipality of Villariezo (529 inhabitants in 2010; 1,029 ha; municipal website) is located 10 km of Burgos.
Villariezo was originally named Villa Iriezo, for the resettler Iriezo
Elechal. Several other toponyms in the municipality recall other
resettlers, such as Villadruedo (Todredo / Teodoredo), Villerolo
(Auriolo / Oriolo), Villaolda (Olda / Odila) and Villocles (Ovóquez).
Villatruedo was once a significant village, "as big as Villariezo", and the seat of a monastery ruled by the San Pedro de Cardeña monastery, of which nothing has remained except two sarcophagi excavated in 1960. In the Middle Ages, the village was owned by the Chapter of the Burgos Cathedral, acting as the "lord of Vilariezo" and issuing around 1500 the village's ordinances, and the San Pedro de Cardeña monastery. Diego de Riaño y Gamboa was made the first Count of Villariezo in 1659.
Ivan Sache, 31 March 2011
The flag of Villariezo is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 12 March
1998 by the Burgos Provincial Government, signed on 16 March 1998 by the President of the Government, and published on 2 April 1998 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 63 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular flag, with proportions 1:1, made of four equal horizontal stripes, red, white, blue and red (from top to bottom).
The coat of arms of Villariezo is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 29
December 1997 by the Burgos Provincial Government, signed on 15 January 1998 by the President of the Government, and published on 26
January 1998 the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 16 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Quarterly, 1. and 4. Gules a castle or masoned sable port and windows azure, 2. Argent a grapevine eradicated proper, 3. Azure a fountain argent masoned sable supplying water. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown.
Ivan Sache, 31 March 2011mailme.html