Last modified: 2016-04-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: viloria de rioja |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Viloria de Rioja - Image from the Escudos y Banderas de la Provincia de Burgos website, 8 March 2014
The municipality of Viloria de Rioja (46 inhabitants in 2010; 695 ha; municipal website) is located 60 km of Burgos.
Viloria de Rioja was mentioned for the first time in a document of the
San Miguel de Pedroso monastery dated 1028, as Villa Oria. The name of
the village might refer to a dame who contributed to the resettlement,
or, most simply, as Villa de Aurea (Gold), to the wealth of the
village. The today's name of Viloria appeared in 1043 in a document of
the San Millán de la Cogolla monastery.
St. Dominic de la Calzada (of the Causeway; 1019-1109) was, most probably, born in Viloria. The saint built a paved causeway as an alternative to the traditional Way of St. James between Logroño and Burgos. After his death, the village that had developed around his hermitage was renamed Santo Domingo de la Calzada, today a town and municipality (6,737 inh.) in La Rioja.
Ivan Sache, 24 March 2011
The flag and arms of Viloria de Rioja are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 8 July 1999 by the Burgos Provincial Government, signed on 27 July 1999 by the President of the Government, and published on 6 August 1999 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 151, p. 8,008 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular with three colours placed vertically, gules, or and azure in 3:10, 4:10 and 3:10 proportions. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Azure a bust of a saint proper nimbed or, manteled gules dexter a castle masoned sable port and windows azure ensigned with an eight-pointed star or sinister a tree or charged with a scythe of the same fimbriated sable ensigned with a scallop faceted. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
Ivan Sache, 24 March 2011mailme.html