This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

La Línea de la Concepción (Municipality, Andalusia, Spain)

Last modified: 2016-12-20 by ivan sache
Keywords: la línea de la concepción |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Flag]         [Flag]

Flag of La Línea de la Concepción, two versions - Images by Ivan Sache, 29 March 2014


See also:


Presentation of La Línea de la Concepción

The municipality of La Línea de la Concepción (62,697 inhabitants in 2013; 2,610 ha) is located 140 km south-east of Cádiz. The municipality is located on the western shore of the Bay of Algeciras, on the isthmus that links Gibraltar to the coast.

La Línea de la Concepción was originally a borough of San Roque. The name of the town refers to the línea de contravalación de la plaza de Gibraltar, a fortification line established between the fortresses of Santa Bárbara and San Felipe, 1727-1731. Aimed at the reconquest of Gibraltar from the Brits, the line was suppressed in 1810 during the War of Independence.
The municipality of La Línea de la Concepción was established in 1873, on the Day of the Immaculate Conception. Accordingly, the name of the place was changed from La Línea de Gibraltar to La Línea de la Concepción.

Ivan Sache, 29 March 2014


Symbols of La Línea de la Concepción

The (unofficial) flag of La Línea de la Concepción is horizontally divided celestial blue-white-celestial blue (photo, photo, photo, photo, photo). The flag is most probably of Marian origin.
A flag with the municipal coat of arms added in the white stripe and the blue stripes of a slightly darker colour (photo, photo) is sometimes used during official events.

The (unofficial) coat of arms of La Línea de la Concepción is "Azure a wall or between two towers of the same port and windows gules over a base vert in chief a Royal Bourbonic crown. The shield surmounted by a Royal Bourbonic crown".
The fortifications recall the fortification line erected in 1727 by the Duke of Montemar, for which the town was named. These arms are found in the Sigillography Section of the National Historical Archives, dated 1876.
[Símbolos de Cadíz]

Ivan Sache & Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 May 2014