Last modified: 2019-01-27 by ivan sache
Keywords: fuente carreteros |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Fuente Carreteros - Image from the Símbolos de Córdoba website, 22 January 2019
The municipality of Fuente Carreteros (1,115 inhabitants in 2017; 926 ha; municipal website) is located 10 km of Fuente Palmera, on the border with the Province of Seville.
The municipality of Fuente Carreteros was established by Decree No. 178,
issued on 2 October 2018 by the Government of Andalusia and published on
9 October 2018 on the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 196, pp. 13-26 (text).
Errors in the Decree were corrected on 16 October 2018 in the official
gazette of Andalusia, No. 200, pp. 63-64 (text).
The submunicipal entity of Aldea de Fuente Carreteros was established within the municipality of Fuente Palmera by a Resolution issued on 7 March 1989 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 31 March 1989 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 25, p. 1,037 (text).
On 22 December 2010, the Municipal Council of Fuente Palmera initiated by absolute majority the process of creation of the municipality of Fuente Carreteros. The administrative folder was validated on 18 October 2012 by the absolute majority of the Municipal Council. The separation request was approved on 27 August 2013 by the Government of the Province of Córdoba, on 19 December 2013 by the Córdoba Provincial Council, on 7 May 2014 by the Andalusian Council for Local Dialogue, and on 27 June 2014 by the Statistics and Cartography Institute of Andalusia; the negative assessment issued on 29 April 2015 by the Advisory Council of Andalusia did not prevent the separation.
Fuente Carreteros is one of the New Settlements of Sierra Morena and Andalusia, established by Royal Letters (text) signed on 5 July 1767 in Madrid by King Charles III. The document contains "instructions and the settlement charter to be applied in those [settlements] newly established in the Sierra Morena with natives and Roman Catholic foreigners". The Preamble of the Letters states that Pablo de Olavide, Knight of the Order of St. James, "Assistant" of the king in Seville and Intendent of the Army of Andalusia, is appointed Superintendant General in charge of the direction of the new settlements to be established in Sierra Morena. The king "proposes" that Juan Gaspar de Thurriégel, of Bavarian citizenship and Roman Catholic religion, introduces 6,000 Roman Catholic, German and Flemish colonists in the kingdom.
The emergence of Fuente Carreteros was taunted by the corrupted
allocation of plots, each colonist receiving 24 or 28 fanegas of land
instead of 50 as they should have; accordingly, Fuente Carreteros was
one of the most densely populated hamlets. A conflict soon broke out
between the colonists and the landlords of Écija and Palma del Río, who did not want the newcomers to occupy their lands. In 1769, several huts and cultivated plots were burned down; violence and murders prompted several colonists to leave the area. Pablo de Olavide obtained from
Charles III Royal Letters, signed on 17 October 1769, which prescribed
capital punishment to anyone exercising violence against the colonists
or attempting to burn their goods. Several trespassers were executed in
1770, which ended the conflict.
The name of the village (lit., The Carters' Fountain) recalls a fountain used by the carters transporting chestnut timber from Constantina to the Écija market.
Ivan Sache, 22 January 2019
The flag (photos,
photos) and arms of Fuente Carreteros are prescribed by a Resolution
adopted on 11 January 2019 by the Directorate General of the Local
Administration and published on 17 January 2019 in the official gazette
of Andalusia, No. 11, pp. 131-132 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Divided in two triangular parts by a diagonal line; the upper triangular part is green with the coat of arms of Fuente Carreteros in its left zone. The lower triangular part is white; in its right zone are six red five-pointed stars forming a circle.
Coat of arms: Divided in two quarters, one in chief (top) and the other in base (bottom). In chief, on the viewer's left: an olive branch and a wheat spike; on the viewer's right: a component of the Lunatics' Dance. In base, two ancient carts drawn by oxen, crossing each other; the wheel common to both carts forming a fountain pouring water. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown [closed].
On 26 November 2018, the Management Commission of the new municipality
of Fuente Carreteros decided by required majority to keep in use the
symbols of the former submunicipal entity of Aldea de Fuente Carreteros,
whose official description was copied word by word in the new Resolution.
The flag and arms of Aldea de Fuente Carreteros, adopted on 15 January 2004 by the Village Council, were prescribed by a Resolution adopted on 17 May 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 16 September 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 117, p. 13,330 (text).
Olive and wheat are the main crops in the village. The six stars
represent the six colonists' nations (Switzerland, Austria, Germany,
Belgium, Italy and France) and the six dancers performing the two
traditional dances. The lower part of the shield forms a rebus of the
village's name. Ivan Sache, 22 January 2019
Ivan Sache, 22 January 2019