Last modified: 2016-05-31 by ivan sache
Keywords: los blázquez |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Los Blázquez - Image from the Símbolos de Córdoba website, 18 September 2015
The municipality of Los Blázquez (721 inhabitants in 2013; 10,274 ha; municipal website) is located on the border with the Province of Badajoz (Extremadura), 100 km north-west of Córdoba.
Los Blázquez was already settled in the Prehistoric times. Although Paleolithic flint stones have been found in Colmenar, the main remains date back to the Chalcolithic period, such as the dolmens erected in La Morisca, close to the Estanquillo pond, and ceramics found in Pïedras Gordas and in the Sierra del Castillejo. The top of that hill was probably the site of a significant settlement surrounded by arable crops and pastures.
No remains of the early Islamic period have been found yet. In the 12th-13th century, the Almohads established the fortified village of Toleto on a hill (756 m) located 2 km east of the today's village; the site is now known as the castle of Los Blázquez / Maldegollado. The fortress watched the Córdoba-Mérida road or one of its branches, and the road connecting Los Pedroches (Fahs al-Ballut) to southern Extremadura.
Following the reconquest of the area by Ferdinand III the Saint, the parish of Toleto was delimited in 1272. The re-settlement appears to have failed: Toleto disappeared, superseded in the early 14th century by Fuente Obejuna. For decades, the deserted place was mostly used for cattle grazing and hunting. The Sierra de Toleto is mentioned in Alfonso XI's Libro de la montería.
Los Blázquez re-emerged in the middle of the 16th century. When reorganizing the parishes of Fuente Obejuna in 1549, Bishop Leopold of Austria mentioned the estate of Los Velázquez / Blázquez. The parish of Santa Ana, erected on 8 November 1569 by Cristóbal de Rojas y Sandoval, Bishop of Córdoba, included Los Blázquez among its dependencies; parish registers dated 1614 were entitled "de Prados y Blázquez".
Los Blázquez, together with Valsequillo, Esparragosa, La Granjuela and Los Prados, formed in 1817 the municipality of Cinco Aldeas (Five Hamlets), until granted the title of villa in 1842.
Ivan Sache, 18 September 2015
The flag and arms of Los Blázquez, adopted on 19 December 1994 by the Municipal Council and validated by the Royal Academy of Córdoba, are prescribed by Decree No. 251, adopted on 10 October 1995 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 14 December 1995 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 158, p. 11,653 (text). This was confirmed by a Resolution adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The symbols are prescribed as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 11 in width on 18 in length (from hoist to fly), quartered by a cross, 1. and 4. White with a yellow cotice, 2. and 3. Blue. In the center is placed the local coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Azure an olive tree eradicated argent orled by a rosary or. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown closed.
The coat or arms was designed by Juan José Antequera Luengo.
The olive tree represents the olive grove where the village was established. The rosary symbolizes Our Lady of the Rosary, the town's patron saint.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Córdoba (PDF file)]
Ivan Sache, 18 September 2015