Last modified: 2017-02-04 by ivan sache
Keywords: la carlota |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of La Carlota - Image from the Símbolos de Córdoba website, 17 September 2015
The municipality of La Carlota (12,827 inhabitants in 2008; 7,897 ha; municipal website) is located 30 km south-west of Córdoba. The municipality is made of the town of La Carlota and of the ten departments of La Paz, Los Algarbes, Monte Alto, El Arrecife, El Garabato, La Chica Carlota, Las Pinedas, El Rinconcillo, Fuencubierta and Aldea Quintana.
La Carlota is one of the New Settlements of Sierra Morena and Andalusia, established by Royal Letters (text) signed on 5 July 1767 in Madrid by King Charles III. The document contains "instructions and the settlement charter to be applied in those [settlements] newly established in the Sierra Morena with natives and Roman Catholic foreigners". The Preamble of the Letters states that Pablo de Olavide, Knight of the Order of St. James, "Assistant" of the king in Seville and Intendent of the Army of Andalusia, is appointed Superintendant General in charge of the direction of the new settlements to be established in Sierra Morena. The king "proposes" that Juan Gaspar de Thurriégel, of Bavarian citizenship and Roman Catholic religion, introduces 6,000 Roman Catholic, German and Flemish colonists in the kingdom.
The first colonists, coming mostly from the border regions of France and from Germany, arrived in La Carlota on 14 October 1768; one year later, the village counted 1,151 inhabitants, spread between the main nucleus, the original hamlets of Fuencubierta, El Garabato, Petit Carlota, Las Pinedas and Aldea Quintana, and scattered settlements.
Ivan Sache, 17 September 2015
The flag of La Carlota (photo,
photo), adopted on 26 April 1990 by the Municipal Council and validated by the Royal Academy of History, is prescribed by Decree No. 28, adopted on 25 February 1992 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 7 April 1992 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 29, p. 1,722 (text). This was confirmed by a Resolution adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular panel, white and charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown and surrounded by the circular writing "Real Carlota capital de las nuevas poblaciones de Andalucía" in green letters.
The coat of arms of La Carlota is prescribed by Decree No. 2,974, adopted on 19 October 1972 by the Spanish Government and published on 2 November 1972 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 263, p. 19,518 (text). This was confirmed by a Resolution adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The coat of arms, validated by the Royal Academy of History, is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Azure the cypher of King Charles III or, 2. Argent three oaks vert per fess. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown.
The cypher of Charles III recalls the founder of the town. The oaks are a main component of the local landscape.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Córdoba]
Ivan Sache, 17 September 2015