Last modified: 2017-01-29 by ivan sache
Keywords: nueva carteya |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Nueva Carteya - Image from the Símbolos de Córdoba website, 19 September 2015
The municipality of Nueva Carteya (5,531 inhabitants in 2013; 6,918 ha; municipal website) is located 50 km south of Córdoba.
Nueva Carteya originates in the sale of Mount Horquera by King Philip IV to the Council of Baena (1641). The domain, covering 9,000 fanegas was made of pastures planted with holly oaks. The use of the pastures and the collect of acorns significantly increased the income of Baena; parts of the domain were allocated to farmers who paid a small fee. The St. Peter chapel was built so that field workers could attend the mass.
Mt. Horquera experienced in the 17th century abusive clearings, in spite of the Royal Edict of 1748 that severely punished such acts. In the middle of the century, the lord of Baena, Ventura Osorio de Moscoso y Fernández de Córdoba, Duke of Sesa and Count of Oñate, registered a complaint at the Royal Chancellory of Granada against the villagers of Castro del Río, who had "repeatedly performed, with roar and tumult, cuttings and clearings on the mount, to its greater prejudice and ruination". The alleged damage was estimated at 100,000 "reales". In 1821, Mt. Horquera was divided in small plots, to the wrath of the farmers who had already grown them. The establishment of a new village was proposed to settle the dispute.
The hamlet of San Juan was therefore founded in 1822, renamed Nueva Carteya in 1829, and granted the title of villa in 1832. The delimitation of the territory of the new village, initiated in 1894, caused a long conflict with Baena, which would be solved in court only in 1953.
The main promoter of the new village was the priest Diego Carro y Díaz (1751-1828). Born in Baena, Carro served as the majordomo of Bishop Antonio Caballero y Góngora. Inspired by the bishop, the priest founded in Baena an Academy of Fine Arts and Agriculture. He set up a cabinet of curiosities for his collections of sculptures, paintings, and other objects related to natural history and archeology (especially Roman remains excavated by himself in Nueva Carteya when establishing the new village).
The "Iberian Lion" of Nueva Carteya was excavated in 1921 during works on the road to Montilla. The zoomorphic limestone statue, dated to c. 500 BC, is the biggest of a series of similar pieces found in the Córdoba Plain, shown in the Córdoba Municipal Archeology Museum. The statue is generally believed to be a "warden of the tombs", although it might also have been used as a personal symbol of power and strength.
Ivan Sache, 19 September 2015
The flag and arms of Nueva Carteya, approved on 26 November 2009 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 1 December 2009 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 17 December 2009 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 7 January 2010 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 3, pp. 40-41 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: In proportions 2:3. Green panel with a white saltire in proportions 1/8 of the panel's width. In the center is placed the municipal coat of arms in proportions 2/3 of the panel's width.
Coat of arms: Quarterly, 1. Vert a chapel argent, 2. Argent two keys vert per saltire, 3. Argent a holly oak vert, 4. Vert a shepherd argent adextered by a goat of the same. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The two upper quarters of the shield recall the St. Peter chapel and St. Peter, as the town's patron saint. The third quarter represents the pasture planted with holly oaks of Mt. Horquera. The fourth quarter represents cattle-breeding.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Córdoba (PDF file)]
Ivan Sache, 19 September 2015