Last modified: 2014-01-19 by ivan sache
Keywords: valleseco |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Valleseco, as seen on 19 September 2011 at the Town Hall - Image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 7 October 2011
The flag of Valleseco is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 17 May 1993 by the Government of the Canary Islands and published on 9 June 1993 in the official gazette of the Canary Islands, No. 74, p. 3,302 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: The panel shall have proportions 2:3 [...]. The panel shall be made of two diagonal stripes of equal height, the upper gren and the lower old gold. In the middle of the panel shall be placed the municipal coat of arms.
According to José Manuel Erbez (Banderas y escudos de Canarias, 2007; website), the green colour represents the natural environment, while the yellow colour represents flax, traditionally grown and woven in the municipality.
The coat of arms of Valleseco is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 6 April 1988 by the Government of the Canary Islands and published on 11 April 1998 in the official gazette of the Canary Islands, No. 45, p. 726 (text).
The coat of arms, validated by the Royal Academy of History, is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale and per fess [Quarterly]. 1. Vert an artesian well, 2. Argent a fruit tree representing an apple tree, 3. Argent the temple of St. Vincent Ferrer, the village's patron saint, 4. Vert the parish coat of arms. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The parish coat of arms shows a trumpet or per bend sinister, surrounded by a scroll argent inscribed with the motto "DEUS TENETE" (?) (Keep Us, Oh Lord!) and by a wing (?) gules.
The official description does not mention either the inescutcheon or charged with an apple proper, the bordure or orled by a rope argent with seven knots, and the scroll or inscribed with the motto "1746 AQUA LABOR ET TERRA 1842" (Water, Labour and Earth) in black letters.
The well symbolizes water resources. The apple is the most typical crop in the municipality. The church and the parish coat of arms symbolize secession from Teror in 1842, a year inscribed on the scroll.
Klaus-Michael Schneider & Ivan Sache, 7 October 2011