This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Alhendín (Municipality, Andalusia, Spain)

Last modified: 2015-10-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: alhendín |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Alhendín - Image from the Símbolos de Granada website, 20 April 2014

See also:

Presentation of Alhendín

The municipality of Alhendín (8,020 inhabitants in 2013; 5,081 ha; municipal website) is located 15 km south-west of Granada.

Alhendín, located in a strategic place between the Granada Plain and the valley of Lecrín, was settled in the 8th century by the Yemeni tribe of Hamdan. The geographer Ibn Said presents Al-Hamdan as one of the most important settlements located near Garnata (Granada). During the Nasrid rule, Alhend’n was a Royal fortified domain (alquería), defended by one of the strongest towers of the Plain. The tower was part of a defense network that also included the towers of El Padul, Soto de Roma, La Malahá and Gabia.
Alhendín was conquered in 1483 by Ferdinand the Catholic. Boabdil destroyed the castle in 1490; as a retaliation, Ferdinand suppressed the wheat and millet crops expected to feed the inhabitants of Granada. During the first Alpujarras Revolt that broke out in 1500, the Catholic Monarchs established a big garrison in Alhendín.

Ivan Sache, 20 April 2014

Symbols of Alhendín

The flag of Alhendín (photo) is rectangular, divided blue-green by a diagonal stripe running from the uppoer hoist to the lower fly. In the center is placed the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Alhendín is "Quarterly, 1. Azure a tower or masoned sable, 2. Argent a mount proper ensigned with a Marian monogram or, 3. Argent ten roundels azure, 4. Or a pomegranate vert faceted gules. A bordure gules charged with eight saltires or. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed."

The first quarter of the arms might recall the old castle of Alhendín. The second quarter represents the town's patron saint, the Virgin of the Immaculate Conception. The third quarter and the bordure come from the arms of the Altamirano, Marquis of Alhendín de la Vega de Granada. The fourth quarter represents the Province of Granada.
Neither the flag nor the coat of arms are officially registered.
[Símbolos de Granada website]

Ivan Sache & Klaus-Michael Schneider, 21 May 2014