This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Colomera (Municipality, Andalusia, Spain)

Last modified: 2017-01-29 by ivan sache
Keywords: colomera |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Colomera - Image from the Símbolos de Granada website, 13 May 2014

See also:

Presentation of Colomera

The municipality of Colomera (1,453 inhabitants in 2013; 11,198 ha; municipal website) is located 30 north-west of Granada. The municipality is made of the villages of Colomera and Cauro (138 inh.), and of the hamlets of Los Morales and Saladillo.

Colomera already existed in the Roman times, as evidenced by remains of walls, and, mostly by the Roman bridge. A Visigothic necropolis was excavated in the El Chopo estate. The Moors erected there one of the seven fortresses aimed at the fefense of Granada. At the time, the village was divided into three boroughs, Colomera, inhabited by the aristocracy, Los Berbes, inhabited by the middle-class workers, and El Mesa, inhabited by the poorest workers and the Christians; the Blessed Virgin appeared there to Juan Alonso de Rivas during the night of 11 to 12 August 1227. The social division of the village would remain long after the Christian reconquest. Colomera surrendered in 1486 to Fernando Álvarez de Toledo. At the end of the 15th century, Colomera was mentioned in the archives as Colomera y Verbel.
Colomera was a great significance in the late 16th century. The town was the seat of a Court and the residence of several nobles. An hospital was built in 1540. The parish church was consecrated on 14 September 1570 by the archbishop of Granada, assisted by the bishops of Guadix, Baza and Baeza. The wealth of the town was provided by the fives "Ps", pan (bread), peces (fish), perniles (ham), peras (pears) and perdices (partridge).
Colomera was damaged in the 17th century by a storm and a landslide, caused by rain, which suppressed half of the town.

Ivan Sache, 21 April 2014

Symbols of Colomera

The flag of Colomera (photo) is rectangular, divided green-blue by a red diagonal stripe running from the upper hoist to the loser fly and charged in the middle with the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Colomera is "Per bend, 1. Vert a dove proper, 2. Azure a pomegranate or fructed gules, all over a cotice gules. A bordure argent charged with four rectangles checky of 12 argent and gules 1,2 and 1. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed and surrounded by lambrequins or. Beneath the shield a scroll or charged with the name of the municipality in letters sable.

The dove recalls the name of the municipality, from coloma, the archaic form of paloma, "a dove". The pomegranate represents the Province of Granada. The meaning of the bordure is unknown.
Neither the flag nor the coat of arms are officially registered.
[Símbolos de Granada website]

Ivan Sache, 21 April 2014