Last modified: 2015-10-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: cáñar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Cáñar - Image by Ivan Sache, 21 April 2014
The municipality of Cáñar (422 inhabitants in 2008; 2,600 ha; municipal website) is located in the Alpujarra Mountains, 60 km south of Granada.
Cáñar emerged in the 8th-11th century, especially the El Fex estate with its elaborated irrigation system set up by the Moors. In the 14th century, the village was incorporated into the taha of Órgiva. After the fall of Granada in 1492, Cáñar was reconquered by the Catholic Monarchs. In 1568, the rich Morisco landlord Hernando de Válor took the name of Abén Humeya and led the Morisco uprising against King Philip II. Abén Farag, a lieutnant of Humeya was jailed at the El Fex estate; as a revenge, Humeya burnt down the village. After internal quarrels, Abén Humeya was murdered in 1569; John of Austria quickly suppressed the revolt. Eventually expelled from Cáñar in 1609, the Moriscos were replaced by Christian colonists from all over Spain. The hamlet of Barja, once part of Cáñar, was flooded in 1816 and never rebuilt.
Ivan Sache, 5 July 2009
The flag and arms of Cáñar, adopted on 20 August 2007 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 27 August 2007 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 6 September 2007 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 18 September 2007 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 194, p. 10 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3, made of a green panel with three horizontal equal, broken stripes, two white and one blue, in the center of the flag.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1a. Argent a tree eradicated vert, 1b. Vert a fountain argent, 2. Gules a village argent, in base per fess wavy azure and argent. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The tree featured in the first quarter of the arms is an olive tree, one of the main crops in the municipality. The second quarter features the fountain located on the Church's Square. The lower quarter alludes to the status of villa, granted by King Philip II, and to river Guadalfeo.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Granada (PDF file)]
Ivan Sache & Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 May 2014