Last modified: 2017-01-30 by ivan sache
Keywords: dehesas viejas |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Dehesas Viejas - Image from the Símbolos de Granada website, 15 January 2017
The municipality of Dehesas Viejas (727 inhabitants in 2016; 1,372 ha; municipal website) is located 15 km north of Iznalloz and 45 km of Granada.
Dehesas Viejas was re-established as a municipality by Decree No. 140, adopted on 7 October 2014 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 23 October 2014 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 207, pp. 10-20 (text), and on 5 May 2015 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 107, pp. 39,438-39,451 (text).
The original municipality of Dehesas Viejas was incorporated to Iznalloz by Decree No. 5,523, adopted on 14 December 1972 by the Spanish Government and published on 28 December 1972 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 311, p. 23,158 (text).
On 9 April 1996, the majority of the inhabitants of Dehesas Viejas initiated the process of establishment of a submunicipal entity. The request was validated, unanimously, on 28 August 1998 by the Municipal Council of Iznalloz.
The submunicipality of Dehesas Viejas was established by Decree No. 83, adopted on 25 March 2003 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 28 March 2003 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 60, pp. 6,564-6,566 (text).
The process of separation of Dehesas Viejas was initiated on 1 December 2011 by the Municipal Council of Iznalloz. The separation was validated on 27 December 2012 by the Provincial Council and on 22 February 2013 by the Andalusian Council of Local Concertation.
Dehesas Viejas (lit., Old Pastures) emerged as a farm during the Muslim rule. Rafael Gerardo Peinado Santaella (La Repoblación de la tierra de Granada: Los Montes Orientales 1485-1525) reports that "Dehssa Viexa" was re-settled by 36 households after the Christian reconquest. The area was subsequently granted to the Venegas, a mudéjar lineage from Granada: their domain originally included the estates of Dehesas Viejas, Campotéjar and Garnafate, still placed under the jurisdiction of Granada and subsequently united in the single domain of Campotéjar.
Ivan Sache, 15 January 2017
The flag and arms of Dehesas Viejas, adopted on 14 February 2005 by the Village Council and submitted on 22 February 2005 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, are prescribed by a Resolution adopted on 1 March 2005 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 15 March 2005 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 52, p. 78 (text).
The symbols are prescribed as follows:
Flag: Panel in proportions 2/3, green, divided in three vertical stripes separated with wheat spikes. The central stripe 3/5, yellow with a green oak. The lateral stripes 1/5, both green.
Coat of arms: Or an oak vert ensigned in chief by a crescent and a cross all gules. A chief vert separated by wheat spikes the facade of an estate argent roofed gules. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The flag features the emblem of the village, an alleged millenary oak known as palo seco (dry pole) (photo).
The other charges of the coat of arms recall the origin of the village as an estate, grain cultivation as the main source of income, and the Muslim and Christian history of the village.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Granada]
Ivan Sache, 15 January 2017