Last modified: 2017-04-16 by ivan sache
Keywords: la peza |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of La Peza - Image from the Símbolos de Granada website, 14 May 2014
The municipality of La Peza (1,263 inhabitants in 2014; 10,129 ha; municipal website) is located 60 km east of Granada. The municipality is made of the villages of La Peza and Los Villares (111 inh.).
La Peza probably emerged as a Roman camp located on the road that connected Iliberia (Granada) and Acci (Huelma). According to Luis José García Pulido, the column seen in the upper left part of the facade of the parish church of La Peza was originally a milestone erected along the road.
Known to the Muslims as Labassa, the town was reconquerred in 1489 by the Catholic Monarchs; the castle was granted in 1491 to Francisco Pérez de Barradas, Majordomo of King Ferdinand and Knight of the Order of St. James. La Peza was acquired on 6 November 1631 by Pedro Tesifón de Moctezuma, Count of Moctezuma and grand nephew of the last emperor of Mexico. The town was reincoporated in 1693 to the Royal domain, one year after the death of the 3rd Countess of Moctezuma. In April 1810, during the War of Independence, the villagers, led by Mayor Manuel Atienza, resisted the French invaders; their heroic behaviour was magnified by Pedro Antonio de Alarcón in the book El Carbonero Alcalde (1859).
Ivan Sache, 14 May 2014
The flag and arms of La Peza were approved by a Decree adopted on 27 March 1998 by the Municipal Council, signed on 5 May 1998 by the Mayor and published on 6 June 1998 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 63 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3, made of three vertical stripes in proportions 1/5, 3/5 and 1/5, the outer yellow and the central red with a yellow castle.
Coat of arms: Gules a castle or masoned sable surrounded dexter by a pine or and sinister by a holly oak of the same. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The procedure of registration of the symbols of La Peza was declared null and void by a Decree adopted on 5 November 1999 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 6 November 1999 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 129 (text).
The symbols proposed by the Municipal Council were rejected on 29 October 1998 by the Royal Academy of Córdoba, because they did not include specific elements representative of the place, its environment and history. Informed of the rejection on 13 November 1998, the municipality failed to submit a new proposal within the next five months, as legally prescribed.
Ivan Sache & Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 May 2014