Last modified: 2015-10-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: valderrubio |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Valderrubio - Image from the Símbolos de Granada website, 10 October 2015
The municipality of Valderrubio ((2,090 inhabitants in 2014; 659 ha; municipal website) is located 25 km west of Granada and 10 km of Pinos Puente. Established in 2013, Valderrubio is the youngest municipality in the Province of Granada and in Andalusia (El Pais, 22 December 2013; Ideal, 9 September 2013).
The municipality of Valderrubio was established by Decree No. 237, adopted on 17 December 2013 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 18 December 2013 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 7-20 (text). The submunicipal entity of Valderrubio, approved on 22 February 2001 by the Municipal Council of Pinos Puente, was established by Decree No. 107, adopted on 19 March 2002 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 23 April 2002 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 47, pp. 6,457-6,458 (text). On 22 December 2010, the Village Council of Valderrubia required from the Municipal Council of Pinos Puente the establishment of the municipality of Valderrubio. The Municipal Council of Pinos Puente validated the request on 18 August 2011 and forwarded on 23 August 2011 to the Andalusian administration the documents supporting the request.
Valderrubio, originally known as Asquerosa, was renamed by a Decree adopted on 2 June 1943 by the Spanish Government and published on 21 June 1943 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 172, p. 5,986 (text).
The poet Federico García Lorca (1898-1936), born in the neighbouring town of Fuente Vaqueros, moved to Valderrubio, then known as Asquerosa. According to his sister Isabel, all of Lorca's early poems (1918-1919) were written in Valderrubio, portraying inhabitants of the village and natural sites, such as the Teja and Carrura fountains. The house where the family lived from 1906 to 1909 and spent summer vacation until 1925 is now a museum (website), presenting a reconstitution of a typical, local house in the early-middle 20th centuty. Most objects shown there belonged to the Lorca family and had been kept by neighbours during the three decades of exile of the family in New York. Another house in the village, once owned by Frasquita Alba, was portrayed by Lorca in his last work, the play La casa de Bernarda Alba (1936, published and first performed on stage in 1945 in Buenos Aires).
Ivan Sache, 10 October 2015
The flag (photo, photo, photo, photo) and arms of Valderrubio are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 2 December 2014 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 16 December 2014 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 244, p. 41 (text). The Municipal Council had required on 29 October 2014 permission to use the symbols of the former submunicipal entity of Valderrubio.
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular panel, in proportions 2:3. green with a yellow triangle placed along the hoist and reaching the center of the flag. The triangle charged with a green plant of tobacco.
Coat of arms: Spanish shield. Vert a plant of tobacco or and a tree of the same in base two waves argent ensigned with a three-peaked mount argent the central peak higher mantelé in chief or a phenix sable naissant from flames gules The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown closed.
The flag and arms of Valderrubio were originally adopted on 31 May 2006 by the Village Council, submitted on 2 June 2006 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, and prescribed by a Decree adopted on 9 June 2006 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 23 June 2006 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 120, pp. 23-24 (text).
The description of the symbols is the same as above.
The plant of tobacco and the tree refer to the agricultural resources of the municipality. The mountain repersents Mt. Veleta, while the waves represent rivers Cubillas and Velillos. The phenix recalls the rebuilding of the village after the Christian reconquest.
[Símbolos de Granada website]
Ivan Sache, 10 October 2015