Last modified: 2015-10-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: víznar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Víznar - Image from the Símbolos de Granada website, 20 May 2014
The municipality of Víznar (991 inhabitants in 2014; 1,300 ha; municipal website) is located 10 km of Granada.
Ivan Sache, 20 May 2014
The flag (photo, photo) and arms of Víznar, adopted on 24 March 2000 by the Municipal Council and validated on 24 March 2000 by the Royal Academy of Córdoba, are prescribed by Decree No. 59, adopted on 26 February 2001 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 22 March 2001 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 34 (text). This was confirmed by a Decree adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text)
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, three units in length on two units in width. Field diagonally divided per bend, first green and second red. A bend azure outlined in white. When represented with the coat of arms, this one should be placed on the geometrical center of the flag, superimposed to the bend, crowned and in height 2/3 the flag's width.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Gules an archbishop's crozier or in bend and a bishop's staff of the same superimposed to form a saltire a double ribbon attached to the upper part one fimbriated gules the other argent, 2. Azure a four-arched stone water-supplying aqueduct proper on a base vert supplying waves azure and argent the first arch ensigned dexter by an eight-pointed star argent the central arch and the three other arches surmounted by a pomegranate proper faceted gules leaved vert of two. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The first quarter is a tribute to the archbishops of Granada and to St. Blasius, the village's patron saint, respectively. The second quarter represents the Aynadamar aqueduct; the star represents the Muslim artistic heritage, and the pomegranate the Province of Granada.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Granada (PDF file)]
Juan Manuel de Moscoso y Peralta (1723-1811), Archbishop of Granada, built in Víznar a big manor known as Cuzco Palace, completed in 1795. Born in Arequipa (Peru), Moscoso was appointed Bishop of Córdoba (Province of Tucumán, Argentina) in 1771, of Cuzco (Peru) in 1778, and Archbishop of Granada in 1789. He reconquerred several provinces of Peru during the uprising led by Tupac Amaru in 1780 [Municipal website].
The Aynadamar aqueduct was built by the Zirid emir Abd-Allah to supply water from the Aynadamar fountain to the town of Granada. The system was kept in use after the Christian reconquest; the Catholic Monarchs released on 2 October 1501 Royal Letters establishing the office of Judge of the Waters (Juzgado de Aguas). Published on 15 October 1501, the Granada Ordinances prescribed the share of water supply among the parishes, mentioning the Aynadamar aqueduct and fountain. Today, the aqueduct supplies water only from the fountain to El Fargue, its further parts having been lost [Municipal website].
Ivan Sache & Klaus-Michael Schneider, 20 May 2014