Last modified: 2020-02-11 by ivan sache
Keywords: humanes |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Humanes - Image by Ivan Sache, 6 September 2019
The municipality of Humanes (1,487 inhabitants in 2018; 4,802 ha) is located 25 km north of Guadalajara. The municipality is made of the town of Humanes and of the villages of Cerezo de Mohernando (59 inh.) and Razbona (28 inh.).
Humanes is home of the Fire Procession (video), a festival that was registered a
Festival of Regional Tourims Interest by a Resolution adopted on 31
August 1998 by the Government of Caastilla-La Mancha and published on 11
September 1998 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 42, p.
The statue of the Virgin is brought from the Peñahora chapel, located on the bank of river Sorbe, to the San Esteban parish church. Stubble and straw stacks are set to fire on the two sides of the road (on more than 2 km) on the passage of the procession, which is escorted by torch-bearers. The stacks are offerred by the villagers to the Virgin, as a tradition or a reward for intercession.
[Diario de Castilla-La Mancha, 9 September 2018]
Ivan Sache, 6 September 2019
The flag of Humanes is prescribed by Order No. 49 issued on 8 March 2019
by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 20 March 2019
in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 56, p. 8,715 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3, vertically divided in two equal quarters. The first, at hoist, white, the second, blue. In the rectangle's center, joint to the dividing line, the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Humanes is prescribed by Decree No. 70 issued on 12
June 1986 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 17
June 1986 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 24, p. 999 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Vert a three-arched bridge argent surmounted by a castle of the same and supported by waves argent and azure, 2a. Argent two wolves passant sable langued gules in pale (arms of the Eraso lineage, Counts of Humanes), 2b. Argent a Cross of Saint James gules. The shield surmouned by a Royal crown closed.
The Royal Academy of History validated the proposed arms "without any
[Boletin de la Real Academia de la Historia 193:2,314. 1985]
The County of Humanes was erected on 22 July 1625 by Philip IV for
Francisco de Eraso Carrillo y Pacheco (1581-1635), lord of Mohernando.
The county also included the towns that composed the Commandery of
Mohernando, ran by the Order of Saint James, and, subsequently, the
domain of Mohernando: Mohernando, Robledillo de Mohernando, Cerezo de
Mohernando, Razbona, and the estate of El Cañal.
The Eraso lineage, originating from Navarre, had been serving the kings of Spain since the Catholic Monarchs. The 1st Count of Humanes was made Knight of the Order of Saint James on 24 May 1599; he was appointed Ambassador Extraordinary in Rome and Ambassador in England.
[Royal Academy of History]
Ivan Sache, 6 September 2019