Last modified: 2017-02-04 by ivan sache
Keywords: bollullos par del condado |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Bollullos Par del Condado (14,324 inhabitants in 2015; 5,000 ha; municipal website) is located 50 km north-east of Huelva. "Par Del Condado" (Part of the County) refers to the former inclusion of the town in the County of Niebla.
Bollullos was purchased by Guzm&eacut;n el Bueno (the Good Guzm&eacut;n), first lord of Sanlúcar, and his mother, María Alfonso Coronel. One half of the domain was granted, as her dowry, to their daughter, who married Fernán Pérez Ponce, lord of Marchena. Subsequently made Counts of Niebla and Dukes of Medina Sidonia, the Guzm&eacut;n bore in the 16th-17th century the title of Captain General of the Oceanic War and of the Coasts of Andalusia.
Bollullas re-emerged in the last decades of the 18th century, its main source of income being export of wine to the New World. French wine-growers (Cané, Guitart, Briout, Pierres, Neble) settled in the town and improved the quality of the local production.
When the feudal system was suppressed, the Dukes of Medina Sidonia still owned the big pastures of Remuñana and Montañina, representing one fourth of the municipal territory. Plots were eventually set in these areas in the 1920s by the Sindicato Agrícola Católico, led by Francisco Pérez y Vacas, which prevented social unrest and massive emigration.
Vineyards cover more than 50% of arable land in the municipality. Bollullos is the seat of the Condado de Huelva Designation of Origin, recognized for wine on 4 December 1933 and vinegar on 31 July 2007. Bollullas is also the seat of the biggest wine-making cooperative in Andalusia, the Sociedad Cooperativa Vinícola del Condado, founded in 1956.
Ivan Sache, 18 August 2016
The flag (photo, photo,photo, photo) of Bollullos del Condado is horizontally divided blue-white-blue with the municipal coat of arms in the middle, surrounded by the writing "BOLLULLOS / LAGAR Y LUZ" (Wine Press and Light).
The arms of Bollullos Per Del Condado are "Azure a pike in pale piercing a bread loaf surrounded dexter by a slingshot and sinister by a bow with arrow all proper. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown open."
The shield is in French style, juxtaposing colour on colour; it is surrounded by laurel branches tied beneath the shield. In the first half of the 20th century, the municipality used a seal featuring the pike with the bread loaf, surrounded dexter by a slingshot and a bow and sinister by two checky caldrons in pale. In the middle of the 19th century, the seal featured only the caldrons, as reported by Piferrer ("The arms of the Guzmán, that is, the same as for Valverde"). Tomás López' Relaciones (1785) state that the municipal seal featured "a pike piercing a bread loaf, slingshots and arrows, once used by the inhabitants. The arms already existed at the time of Alfonso X the Wise, as reported by the historian Rodrigo Caro".
The meaning of the arms is unknown. Antonio Juan Díaz Soto believes that the weapons represents the courage of the inhabitants of the Roman town of Babulca. The unusual slingshot is a possible reference to the old Balearic warriors who settled the area. The caldrons featured on the old seal are taken from the arms of the Guzmán.
Juan José Antequera proposed on 10 January 1966 "Azure a pike or piercing a bread loaf argent surrounded dexter by a slingshot or in pale with a stone argent and sinister by a bow or with an arrow argent. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed".
The proposed companion flag is in proportions 11 x 18, blue with three yellow vertical stripes outlined in white, charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms.
[Juan José Antequera. Principios de transmisibilidad en las heráldicas officiales de Sevilla, Córdoba y Huelva]
The flag features a particular version of the coat of arms, white outlined in blue.
Ivan Sache, 18 August 2016