This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Manzanilla (Municipality, Andalusia, Spain)

Last modified: 2016-12-20 by ivan sache
Keywords: manzanilla |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Flag]

Flag of Manzanilla - Image from the Símbolos de Huelva website, 1 September 2016


See also:


Presentation of Manzanilla

The municipality of Manzanilla (2,108 inhabitants in 2015; 4,000 ha) is located 60 km north-east of Huelva.

Ivan Sache, 1 September 2016


Symbols of Manzanilla

The flag (photo, photo, photo) and arms of Manzanilla, adopted on 2 May 1996 by the Municipal Council and validated on 30 October 1997 by the Royal Academy of Córdoba, are prescribed by Decree No. 9, adopted on 27 January 1998 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 24 February 1998 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 22 (text). This was confirmed by a Resolution adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 11 x 18, made of three stripes of equal size parallel to the hoist, the first, green, the second, white with a red saltire, and the third, yellow. Charged in the center with the local coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Or three steps superimposed in decreasing size on a base vert ensigned by a poplar all proper surrounded by two white flags inscribed with "TRIANA" in letter gules the hoist sable fitched in the steps. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.

The flag, designed from scratch, and the "rehabilitated" coat of arms were proposed on 25 February 1995 by Juan José Antequera.

The municipality has been using, at least since 1876 and in turn with the national coat of arms, a white shield charged with a poplar standing on three steps, surrounded by white banners stuck into the steps; the shield is surmounted by a mural crown. The shield was often placed on a gyronny cartouche with a scroll inscribed with "Villa de Manzanilla". The white flags are charged with a red saltire.

The red saltire, emblem of the House of Burgundy, was used by the Spanish regiments. A reproduction of the shield from the 19th century shows white flags, with the following legend: "The poplar around which the first houses of the town were built. Philip V granted to the town the flags of the Triana Regiment, as a reward to the bravery of the inhabitants of the town who enrolled in it." The flags, represented plain, charged with the saltire or inscribed with "TRIANA", recall an episode of the War of the Spanish Succession that opposed Philip V and Archduke Charles of Austria. The Triana regiment was established by Brigadier Manuel Félix Osorno, with his own funds. The Osorno family owned in the 16th century the chapel of the Virgin of the Valley; the chapel was part of the donadio of Huégas, established during the sharing of the reconquerred land, subsequently transferred to the Dukes of Alcalá, Marquis of Tarifa and Dukes of Medinaceli.
The steps and the poplar recall the emblematic monument of the old town, described in 1761 by an anonymous chronicler; the new edition of the chronicle, published in 1938 in Huevla, includes a footnote stating that the monument was vandalized on 9 March 1873.
[Juan José Antequera. Principios de transmisibilidad en las heráldicas officiales de Sevilla, Córdoba y Huelva]

Originally organized by Manuel Félix de Osorno y Herrera as a battalion, the Triana Regiment was officially established by a Royal Order signed on 28 February 1707. The regiment was stationed in Santa Ana, a borough of Seville extra muros, better known as Triana. Osorno was appointed Colonel of the Regiment by the same Order. On 14 September 1709, he was appointed Brigadier of the Armies of His Majesty and Colonel of the Spanish Infantry. Osorno was seconded by his brother, Bartolomé Agustín de Osorno, who was officially appointed Lieutenant Colonel of the Triana Regiment in 1707.
The Triana Regiment was distinct from two other units raised in Triana in 1702 by the Municipality of Seville; those two Triana Companies were captained by the Marquis of Aguiar and the Marquis of Medina, respectively, two knights of the Order of Alcántara and Municipal Councillors of Seville.
Little is known about the Triana regiment during the War of Spanish Succession (1704-1715); the regiment was successively stationed on the border with Portugal (spring and summer 1704), in Gibraltar (November 1704), in Cádiz (November 1705), again on the border with Portugal (1706), and in the County of Niebla (November 1708). The Triana Regiment was involved in the Battle of Almenar, fought on 27 July 1710 near Lérida, experiencing great loss; defeated by the allied army commanded by the Austrian prince Guido Von Starhemberg and the English general James Stanhope, the partisans of Philip V had to withdraw from Catalonia to Aragón. On 20 August 1710, the regiment was involved in the Battle of Saragossa, experiencing once again great loss; after his victory, Archduke Charles marched against Madrid, which he entered on 28 September 1710. Stationed in Aragón at the end of the war (1715), the Triana regiment was disbanded and partially merged into the Burgos Regiment.

The local legend claims that Osorio promised to offer an ex-voto to the statue of the Virgin of the Valley, provided the Virgin would protect him during the war. The ex-voto was made of three flags of the Triana regiment, the colour of the Colonel's company that he commanded (a white flag charged wit the Cross of Burgundy and the red writing "TRIANA" beneath") and the colours of two other companies, led by the Lieutenant Colonel and the Sergeant Major, respectively. The flags are indeed kept in the chapel of the Virgin of the Valley.
[Francisco Javier Gutiérrez Núñez & Francisco Javier Hernández Navarro. Manuel Félix de Osorno, Manzanilla y el Regimiento de Triana (1704-1715)]

Ivan Sache, 1 September 2016