Last modified: 2016-12-20 by ivan sache
Keywords: santa ana la real |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Santa Ana la Real - Image from the Símbolos de Huelva website, 5 September 2016
The municipality of Santa Ana la Real (523 inhabitants in 2015; 2,657 ha; municipal website) is located 100 km north of Huelva. The municipality is made of the village of Santa Ana and of the hamlets of La Corte de Santa Ana (150 inh.), La Presa, and La Fuente del Oro (40 inh.).
Santa Ana was already settled 3000 years BC, as evidenced by the remains of a necropolis and rock engravings found in Los Azulejos. Representing elements of the life cycle (animals, plants, the moon and the sun), the engravings are most probably related to a primitive funerary cult.
Santa Ana was first mentioned in the middle of the 16th century, when experiencing a demographic boom. Santa Ana was granted the title of villa in 1751 by King Ferdinand VI, separating from Almonaster la Real. The inhabitants of the villagers, then known as Valle de Santa Ana, paid 435,000 maravedies to Gregorio del Valle Clavijo for the emancipation.
A long conflict broke out at the end of the 18th century, opposing the villagers, who claimed free access to municipal lands for their pigs, to the landlords living in Almonestar and Jabugo, who claimed a tax; the French invasion (1810) eventually solved the quarrel.
The population of Santa Ana peaked in 1940 to 1,164. Until the 1960s, lime production was a main source of income; more than 30 kilns were operated on the slopes of Cerro Castillejo.
Ivan Sache, 5 September 2016
The flag (photo, photo, photo) and arms of Santa Ana la Real were adopted on 18 July 1998 by the Municipal Council. The registration process does not appear to have been completed yet.
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 11 x 18. A purple panel with [three] yellow horizontal stripes. Charged in the center with the local coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Or a holly oak gules on a base purpure ensigned by a broken chain of the same. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
An earlier flag proposal, dated to the mid 1980s, was not accepted by the Academy.
The ink seal used by the municipality since 1878 shows a shield in Carlist shape, divided per pale, dexter two trees on base, sinister a broken chain with the writing "Santa Ana la Real". The shield was subsequently superseded by a shield in Spanish shape, azure with the charges proper. Like the original version, the shield was not crowned. The writing is inappropriate and the charges should be placed on a shield without any partition.
The trees represent the holly oaks surrounding the village, while the chain must represent the separation from Almonestar la Real
Ivan Sache, 5 September 2016