This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

San Silvestre de Guzmán (Municipality, Andalusia, Spain)

Last modified: 2016-12-20 by ivan sache
Keywords: san silvestre de guzmán |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of San Silvestre de Guzmán - Image from the Símbolos de Huelva website, 5 September 2016

See also:

Presentation of San Silvestre de Guzmán

The municipality of San Silvestre de Guzmán (634 inhabitants in 2015; 4,860 ha; municipal website) is located 50 km north-west of Huelva and 25 km of Ayamonte, on the border with Portugal, here river Guadiana.

San Silvestre de Guzmán was established by a charter granted on 1595 by Francisco de Guzmán, Marquis of Ayamonte. The first colonists were 42 households considered as "antique settlers" of the Los Verdes and Campanillas pastures, which had been offered in 1531 by the Marquis of Ayamonte of the time, Silvestre de Guzmán.
The village was named for its patron saint, Pope Sylvester I (314-335).

Ivan Sache, 5 September 2016

Symbols of San Silvestre de Guzmán

The flag (photo, photo) and arms of San Silvestre de Guzmán, adopted on 25 November 1996 by the Municipal Council and validated on 31 January 1996 by the Royal Academy of Córdoba, are prescribed by Decree No. 119, adopted on 9 June 1998 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 4 July 1998 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 74, pp. 8,347-8,348 (text). This was confirmed by a Resolution adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 11 x 18, made of five parallel stripes perpendicular to the hoist, the first, blue, of 1/3 of the [flag's] hoist, the second and the fourth, white, of 1/9 of the width, the third, yellow, of 2/9 of the width, and the fifth, red, of 1/3 of the width. Charged in the center with the local coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1a. Argent a bend sable orled by a chain or of eight pieces, for Zúñiga, 1b. Azure two caldrons in pale chequy or and gules handled by seven snakes vert on each side, for Guzmán, 2. Vert three holly oaks argent in pale on waves argent and azure. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.

The coat of arms was designed by Tomás Rodríguez Peñas.
The dexter part features the arms of the Zúñiga, Marquis of Gibraleón, and of the Guzmán, Counts of Niebla. The sinister part features two trees, representing the site where the town was founded, and waves, representing rivers Guadiana and Piedras.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Huelva (PDF file)]

Ivan Sache, 5 September 2016