Last modified: 2017-01-30 by ivan sache
Keywords: lahiguera |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Lahiguera - Image by Ivan Sache, 2 December 2015
The municipality of Lahiguera (1,804 inhabitants in 2014; 4,475 ha; municipal website) is located in the west of the Province of Jaén, 30 km of Jaén.
Lahiguera was first documented in the 13th century as La Fuente de la Figuera (The Fig's Fountain), soon shortened to La Figuera. Lahiguera was incorporated to Andújar by a Royal privilege signed on 20 February 1292 in Toledo by Alfonso X the Wise, the name of the town being changed to Higuera de Andújar. In the 15th century, it was transferred to Arjona, ruled by the Order of Calatrava, and renamed, accordingly, Higuera de Arjona, while remaining part of Andújar for the religious matters. Higuera de Arjona was granted the status of villa on 17 October 1558.
The municipality was renamed Lahiguera by Decree No. 278, adopted on 7 November 1995 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 11 January 1996 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 3, p. 117 (text), and on 3 February 1996 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 30, p. 3,766 (text).
Ivan Sache, 2 December 2015
The flag (photo,
photo) and arms of Lahiguera are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 15 April 1998 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 12 May 1998 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 53 (text). This was confirmed by a Resolution adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, three units in length on two units in width, horizontally divided into two equal stripes, the upper half flag red and the lower half white. Charged on its geometrical axis, in the center of the flag, with the municipal coat of arms, crowned, in height 2/3 of the panel's width.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Azure a fig tree proper on a base hilly proper, 2a. Gules a tower or masoned sable surrounded dexter by an eagle or and sinister by a St. Andrew's cross of the same, 2b. Argent a Cross of Calatrava gules. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown closed.
The memoir supporting the proposed symbols was redacted by Ignacio Ahumada Lara, Professor at the University of Jaén and author of the book Breve historia de Higuera de Arjona.
The colours of the flag recall the historical connection between the town and Ferdinand III and the Kings of Castile, who used these colours on their arms.
The castle, identical to the one featured on the arms of Andújar, was granted by Ferdinand III to all the reconquered towns incorporated to the Kingdom of Castile. The eagle, identical to the one featured on the arms of Andújar, recalls that Higuera de Arjona was re-settled from Andújar. The St. Andrew's cross is the symbol of the ascendance of the population that also resettled Higuera de Arjona, coming from the old Kingdom of Jaén. The Cross of Calatrava recalls that the Order ruled the town from 1432 to 1558.
[Nuestro Pueblo, uncredited]
Ivan Sache, 2 December 2015