This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Marmolejo (Municipality, Andalusia, Spain)

Last modified: 2016-06-03 by ivan sache
Keywords: marmolejo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Marmolejo - Image by Ivan Sache website, 3 December 2015

See also:

Presentation of Marmolejo

The municipality of Marmolejo (7,252 inhabitants in 2013; 17,800 ha; municipal website) is located 60 km north-west of Jaén, on the border with the Province of Córdoba.

Marmolejo depended on Andújar until granted the status of villa on 27 May 1791 by Charles IV; at the time, the town counted 1,475 inhabitants living in 276 houses "of acceptable construction, with regular streets, paved and clean, as are the houses". Marmolejo was already famous for the healing properties of its water, described in 1781 by a French medical doctor, Tissot. In 1875, another French, Paul Rostaing, founded the first hotel in Marmolejo; the town developed as a spa resort in the first decades of the 20th century.

Ivan Sache, 3 December 2015

Symbols of Marmolejo

The flag of Marmolejo (photo, photo, photo) is vertically divided white-green (3:1) with the municipal coat of arms centered on the white stripe.

The coat of arms of Marmolejo is "Quarterly, 1. Argent a block of marble proper, 2. Vert a key or in pale, 3. Azure a single-arched bridge or masoned sable, 4. Gules a tower or castle or masoned sable. The shield placed on a parchment-shaped cartouche."
The blocks of marble (mármol) make the arms canting. According to Terribes Roibles, they refer to big flagstones extracted by the Romans from local quarries when building a road; this interpretation, however, is of little likelihood.
The key represents the strategic location of the town on the border with the Muslim states.
The bridge represents the "Roman" bridge over river Guadalquivir, which connects the town and the spa.
The castle represents the Kingdom of Castile.
[Municipal website]

Ivan Sache, 3 December 2015