Last modified: 2016-04-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: matallana de torío | pardavé |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Matallana de Torío - Image by Antonio Gutiérrez (VexiLeón website), 19 June 2011
The municipality of Matallana de Torío (1,435 inhabitants in 2010; 7,345 ha; municipal website) is located in the north of León Province, 30 km of León. The municipality is made of the villages of Matallana de Torío, Naredo de Fenar (112 inh.), Orzonaga (95 inh.), Pardavé (150 inh.), Robledo de Fenar (47 inh.), Serrilla (50 inh.), La Valcueva (81 inh.), Villalfeide (77 inh.) and Robles de la Valcueva (693 inh.; capital).
Matallana de Torío, already settled in the Celtic (citadels) and Roman (bridges) times, was granted in 1103 by King Alfonso VI to the San
Isidoro de León collegiate monastery, a grant that was confirmed on 21 June 1181 by Ferdinand II. In 1258, Alfonso the Wise granted a charter
to the village.
The today's municipality was formed in 1865 by segregation from Vegacervera.
Ivan Sache, 19 June 2011
The flag of Matallana de Torío (photo) is described as follows (municipal website):
Rectangular flag with proportions 2:3, made of nine horizontal stripes, five blue and four white in turn. The canton at upper hoist white with a purple lion crowned armed and langued yellow, the canton at lower hoist red with a yellow hammer and sledgehammer crossed per saltire.
The coat of arms of Matallana de Torío (municipal website) is prescribed by a Decree
adopted on 22 December 1993 by the León Provincial Government, signed on the same day by the President of the Government, and published on
25 January 1994 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 16 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1a. Argent a lion purpure crowned langued and armed or, 1b. Gules a hammer or and a sledgehammer of the same, 2. Azure three mounds argent on waves argent and azure. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown.
A very similar Decree, most probably corrective, was published on 11
May 1994 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 90 (text). The only differences with the previous Decree are minor changes:
- signed on 21 April 1994 by the President of the Government;
- "1b. [...] per saltire"
The coat of arms was designed by Centro Nacional de Investigaciones de Heráldica y Genealogía Agar. The first quarter represents the San Isidoro de León collegiate monastery; the second quarter recalls the local coal mines; the base of the shield forms a rebus of the village's name, matallana meaning "a bare mount" and torío (iturri ortza) meaning "a cold river".
Ivan Sache, 19 June 2011
Flag of Pardavé - Image by Antonio Gutiérrez (VexiLeón website), 28 February 2016
Pardavé is the birth place of the Jesuit father Mariano Gutiérrez-Lanza (1865-1943), a noted astronomer and meteorologist who spent most of his life in Cuba. Appointed Director of the Bélen observatory in 1924, he established in 1933 the weather forecast for the flight Seville-Camagúey performed by Mariano Barberán and Joaquín Collar Serra on the Cuatro Vientos.
The flag and arms of Pardavé, aapproved on 30 December 2006 by the Village Council, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 24 March 2007
by the Village Council, signed on 4 December 2007 by the Mayor, and
published on 26 February 2008 in the official gazette of the Province of León, No. 39, p. 18 (text).
The symbols, which were validated by the Chronicler of Arms of Castilla y León, are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular, 1:1, diagonally tierced in base with angle at hoist, the triangle at fly blue,the central stripe white, and the triangle at hoist red, charged in the center with the coat of arms in full colours.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Gules a sun radiating or fimbriated sable, 2. Azure a crescent argent. Grafted in base wavy argent and azure.. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
Ivan Sache, 27 February 2015mailme.html