Last modified: 2016-04-12 by ivan sache
Keywords: santa maría del páramo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Santa María del Páramo - Image by Antonio Gutiérrez (VexiLeón website), 4 March 2015
The municipality of Santa María del Páramo (3,179 inhabitants in 2009; 2,008 ha; municipal website) is located in the south of the Province of León, 35 km southwest of León.
The name of the municipality refers to the area known as Páramo Leonés (Leon Moors). In 1863, Father Fidel Fita excavated a Roman votive stone dedicated to the goddess Diana, inscribed with "CERVOM ALTIFRONTVM CORNVA DICAT DIANAE TVLLIVS QVOS VICIT IN PARAMI AEQVORE VECTUS FEROCI SONIPEDE" (Tullius dedicates to Diana the antlers of the stag he has shot in the Páramo plains when riding a valiant horse); this is the oldest mention of the word "Páramo", of pre-Roman origin.
The domain of Santa María del Páramo was transfered in 1150 by King Fernando II to Ponce Minerva and Estefanía Ramírez, the founders of the monastery of Santa María de Sandoval. Taken back by the king in 1169 following Ponce de Minerva's rebellion, the domain was transfered in 1173 to Fernando Gutiérrez as part of the Royal domain of Urdiales. The domain was later incorporated to the County of Luna, erected in 1462 for Diego Fernández de Quiñones, whose ancestor Pedro Álvarez de Quiñones had been confirmed in 1285 the rule over Santa María del Páramo by King Sancho IV.
Ivan Sache, 18 October 2010
The flag of Santa María del Páramo (municipal website) is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 15 July 2009 by the Municipal Council, signed on 1 June 2010 by the Mayor, and published on 15 June 2010 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 113, p. 47,804 (text).
The flag; designed by Laureano M. Rubio Pérez, is described as follows:
Flag: The flag shall be of rectangular shape, with proportions 2:3, made of three horizontal stripes separated by a golden fimbriation, in respective proportions 1/4, 1/2 and 1/4, the upper and the lower purple red, the central blue, with a vertical white stripe of 1/3 the hoist charged with the municipal coat of arms.
The flag was officially unveiled on 20 March 2011. As explained by its designer, the flag follows the tradition of Leonese banners (pendones). Blue is the color of the Virgin, alluding to the name of the place.
[Diario de León, 21 March 2011]
The coat of arms of Santa María del Páramo, adopted by the Municipal Council after the modifications recommended by the Royal Academy of History, is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 30 April 1992 by the
Government of Castile and Leon and published on 14 May 1992 in the
official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 91 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Argent a tower proper two elms of the same terraced vert, a chief azure the Marian monogram argent. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.The Marian anagram recalls the name of the municipality. The tower recalls the strategic significance of the town during the resettlement of the Páramo Leonés and its administrative role of local capital until incorporation into the County of Luna. The green terrace represents the Páramo Leonés region, limited by rivers Esla and Órbigo, symbolized here by the two elms.
Ivan Sache, 6 June 2011mailme.html