Last modified: 2014-12-29 by ivan sache
Keywords: puebla de lillo | león |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Puebla de Lillo - Image by Antonio Gutiérrez (VexiLeón website), 19 March 2011
The municipality of Puebla de Lillo (682 inhabitants in 2010; 17,140 h; municipal website) is located in the northeast of León Province, on the border with Asturias, 70 km of León. The municipality is made of the villages of Caposolillo, Cofiñal, Isoba, Puebla de Lillo (capital), Redipollos, San Cibrián de la Somoza and Solle.
Puebla de Lillo was established around year 1000 on the road linking
Cantabria to Castile via the San Isidro Pass; the village was most probably named for the Latin word lilium, "an iris". The early resettlers are known by their commercial relations with the Sahagún monastery and their requests to King Ferdinand II. The village was resettled in 1212 by Alfonso IX, who granted a charter to the villagers. Later on, the castle of Redipollos was the seat of the local power and collected a toll on the mountain passes.
In the 14th century, Puebla de Lillo was ruled by the powerful Quiñones family, aka the Counts of Luna. Upon the Count's request, John I granted the villagers a privilege exempting them for all kind of tax and toll in the whole Kingdom of Castile; mostly profitable to the local muleteers, the privilege was confirmed by the successive kings until Philip III. The Counts of Luna built a tower in the center of the village, symbol of their power in peace time and also useful during their struggle against the Osorio, Marquis of Astorga.
The main tourist site of Puebla de Lillo is the San Isidro ski resort (1,500-2,030 m asl), located on land purchased in 1969 by the Government of Castilla y León from the Asís Garrote family. San Isidro is today the reference winter resort in the Cantabrian Mountains; a development of the resort on the northern side of the mountains is projected by the Government of Asturias.
Ivan Sache, 19 March 2011
The flag and arms of Puebla de Lillo are prescribed by a Decree
adopted on 23 December 1998 by the Municipal Council, signed on 4 May 1999 by the Mayor and published on 21 May 1999 in the official
gazette of Castilla y León, No. 96, p. 5,485 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular flag with proportions 2:3, made of two serrated vertical stripes, at hoist green with a white fleur-de-lis, at hoist white, with proportions 1:3 and 2:3.
Coat of arms: Per fess serrated argent and vert in the second seven fleurs-de-lis argent 4 + 3. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
The fleurs-de-lis make the flag and arms canting; the seven fleurs-de-lis represented on the arms must represent the seven villages forming the municipality.
Ivan Sache, 19 March 2011