This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Val de San Lorenzo (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2014-12-29 by ivan sache
Keywords: val de san lorenzo | león |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Val de San Lorenzo - Image by Ivan Sache 7 March 2011

See also:

Presentation of Val de San Lorenzo

The municipality of Val de San Lorenzo (584 inhabitants in 2010; 4,949 ha; municipal website) is located in the center of León Province, 60 km of León. The municipality is made of the villages of Lagunas de Somoza, Val de San Lorenzo (capital) and Val de San Román.

The Somoza area was originally a realengo (Royal domain), granted in 1149 by King Alfonso VII to Bishop Arnaldo of Astorga, as a reward to his contribution, together with his canons, to the seizure of Almería (Andalusia) from the Moors.
Lagunas de Somoza appeared as a villa in 1549. In the 19th century, Lagunas was famous for the production of charcoal.
San Román was listed in 1027 among the domains of the Astorga Cathedral. The villa of Val de San Román appeared around 1640.
Val de San Lorenzo was once famous for its flax and wool weavers.

Ivan Sache, 7 March 2011

Symbols of Val de San Lorenzo

The flag and arms of Val de San Lorenzo are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 1 June 2000 by the Municipal Council, signed on 6 June 2000 by the Mayor, and published on 20 June 2000 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 118, p. 7,301 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular flag, with proportions 2:3, made of three triangles, a yellow triangle with its vertices in upper and lower hoist and at midpoint of the fly, the upper triangle red and the lower triangle green.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Or a local villager [maragato] in traditional dress, 2. Gules a palmar or. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.

Ivan Sache, 7 March 2011