This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Belmonte de Tajo (Municipality, Community of Madrid, Spain)

Last modified: 2016-05-15 by ivan sache
Keywords: belmonte de tajo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Belmonte de Tajo - Image by Ivan Sache, 30 June 2015

See also:

Presentation of Belmonte de Tajo

The municipality of Belmonte de Tajo (1,591 inhabitants in 2014; 2,370 ha; municipal website) is located in the extreme south-east of the Community of Madrid, on the border with Castilla-La Mancha (Province of Toledo), 55 km of Madrid.

Belmonte de Tajo was originally known as Pozuelo de Belmonte. Disputed between the Bishop of Segovia and the Order of St. James, the village was eventually granted in 1336 the status of villa by King Peter I.
Pozuelo was acquired at the end of the 16th century by Álvarez García de Toledo, 1st lord of Belmonte. The County of Belmonte was erected on 23 April 1691 by Charles II for Juan de Prado y Mármol de la Torre; the town became the administrative center of the Prado lineage. The 13th Count of Belmonte is Juan Francisco Martínez de las Rivas y Maroto (b. 1957).

Ivan Sache, 30 June 2015

Symbols of Belmonte de Tajo

The flag (photos) and arms of Belmonte de Tajo are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 10 December 1998 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 2 February 1999 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 27, pp. 32-33 (text) and on 2 March 1999 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 52, pp. 8,546 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Panel in proportions 2:3. Vertically divided in the middle, 1. Checky of 15 blue and white pieces, eight blue and seven white, 2. Green with a black lion rampant outlined in yellow and crowned of the same. A border or charged with three grapevine leaves vert.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Checky of 15 pieces azure and argent, eight azure and seven argent, 2. Vert a lion rampant sable fimbriated or and crowned of the same. A bordure or charged with three grapevine leaves vert. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown.

The proposed arms were validated by the Royal Academy of History, modified as recommended by the Assessors of the Division of Historical Heritage. They feature the proper arms of the Alvarez de Toledo and Prado lineages, differentiated by the bordure as an element specific to the place. In special cases, it is acceptable to use for a municipality the arms of its old lords; the proposed design is therefore totally acceptable.
The flag originally proposed featured the aforementioned arms, without the border. The municipality can decide to add a border to the design or to design a new proposal not based on the municipal heraldry.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 1997, 194, 1:205]

Ivan Sache, 30 June 2015