Last modified: 2016-05-22 by ivan sache
Keywords: cabanillas de la sierra |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Cabanillas de la Sierra (732 inhabitants in 2014; 1,407 ha; municipal website) is located in the north of the Community of Madrid, 60 km of Madrid.
Cabanillas was first mentioned in a document established in 1152 by
King Alfonso VII to fix the limit of the Council of Madrid; in 1208,
Alfonso VIII mentions the village as the eastern limit of the Council
of Segovia. The Relaciones de Felipe II (1579) lists Cabanillas as a hamlet depending on Uceda, part of the Kingdom of Toledo.
Cabanillas was acquired by Diego Vázquez Mexía de Ovando, Knight of the Order of Calatrava, subsequently made Count of Uceda. After the death of the last Count of Uceda without male heirs, the inhabitants of Uceda and Cabanillas opposed to the sale of the domain. The status of villa was eventually granted to Cabanillas in 1593. Uceda attempted to regain control on Cabanillas, but the claim was declared null and void in 1621.
The first Osborne Bull was erected in 1957 at Km 55 of National Road No. 1, connecting Madrid to Burgos, on the municipal territory of Cabanillas de la Sierra. The original bull, mostly made of wood, was only 4 m in height. Following the adoption of a law prohibiting advertising along the roads, the bull was removed, leaving only the concrete support. The Supreme Court eventually lifted the ban, so that a brand new Osborne Bull was erected in Cabanillas in July 2008, now made of metal and 14 m in height.
[El Mundo, 15 July 2008]
Ivan Sache, 2 July 2015
The flag of Cabanillas de la Sierra (photo, photo) does not appear to have been officially approved, although it has been validated by the Royal Academy of History (Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 2005, 202:1, 163), as follows:
Flag: Rectangular panel, in proportions 2:3, horizontally divided in the middle by a zigzagging line, the upper part, yellow, the lower part, red. In the center is placed the crowned coat of arms of the municipality previously approved.
The coat of arms of Cabanillas de la Sierra is prescribed by a Decree
adopted on 19 October 1995 by the Government of the Community of
Madrid and published on 13 November 1995 in the official gazette of
the Community of Madrid, No. 270, p. 7 (text), and on 13 December 1995 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 297, pp. 35,790-35,791 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Vert three huts [cabañas] or masoned and port and windows sable place 2 and 1. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown.
Ivan Sache, 27 July 2015