Last modified: 2016-05-16 by ivan sache
Keywords: collado mediano |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Collado Mediano - Image by Ivan Sache, 5 July 2015
The municipality of Collado Mediano (6,780 inhabitants in 2014; 2,257 ha; municipal website) is located in the north-west of the Community of Madrid, 50 km of Madrid.
Collado Mediano was first mentioned in the late 13th century, as part
of the Real de Manzanares. This domain was granted in 1383 by King John I to his majordomo, Pedro González de Mendoza. His nephew, Iñigo López de Mendoza, was made Count of the Real de Manzanares and Marquis of Santillana by John II.
The status of villa was granted in 1630 to Collado Mediano by Ana de Mendoza.
The archeological site of El Beneficio yielded remains of a Roman
road, identified as a branch of the road connecting Emerita Augusta
(Mérida) to Caesaraugusta (Zaragoza) through the Sierra de Guadarrama. The branch is represented on the Antonine Itinerary as connecting Segovia to Complutum (Alcalá de Henares), via Miaccum and Titulcia.
While the Roman aqueduct is the strongest evidence of the Roman presence in Segovia, very few remains ere found on the part of the road crossing the Community of Madrid, therefore the significance of the site of Collado Mediano is questioned. Excavations performed in 2003 in El Beneficio yielded a quadrangular building including thermae, a kitchen, a big dining room and a dormitory; the building was identified as the "lost" inn (mansio) of Miaccum, shown on the Antonine Itinerary but lost in the midst of age.
Ivan Sache, 5 July 2015
The flag (photos, photo, photos, photos, video) of Collado Mediano is white with a red stripe at the top and bottom and the municipal coat of arms in the middle. The flag does not appear to have been officially approved.
The coat of arms of Collado Mediano (image) is "Per fess, 1. Quarterly per saltire, 1. and 4. Vert a bend gules fimbriated or, 2. and 3. Or the legend 'Ave María' in letters sable, 2. Azure the Cobañera rocks proper. The shield surmounted by a coronet. Beneath the shield a scroll or inscribed 'COLLADO MEDIANO' in letters sable". The coat of arms does not appear to have been officially approved, either; the heraldic authorities would for sure not approve the landscaped quarter, the scroll and the coronet.
Diego Hurtado de Mendoza y Figueroa (1415/1417-1479), the elder son of
Íñigo López de Mendoza, First Marquis of Santillana, was made Duke of the Infantado (full title, "Duque de las Cinco Villas del Estado del Infantado") in 1475; subsequently, the Dukes of the Infantado were made first-rank Grandees of Spain, and were therefore allowed to wear
their hat in the presence of the king. Íñigo de Arteaga y Martín (b. 1941) is the 19th Duke of the Infantado.
"Vert a bend gules fimbriated or" are the oldest known arms of Mendoza; subsequently modified several times, the arms always included a red bend on a green field. The arms quartered per saltire were introduced by the first Marquis of Santillana and appear on a seal dated 1440; the marquis quartered his father's arms (Mendoza) with his mother's arms (de la Vega). His descendants were known as Mendoza de Guadalajara or Mendoza de l'Ave María. In the representations of these arms, the first quarter is inscribed with "AVE MARÍA" while the third quarter is inscribed with "PLENA GRATIA" (or, at least "GRATIA").
[José Luis García de Paz (UAM), Los poderosos Mendoza website]
The Cobañera rocks (photo), the most emblematic element of the natural environment of Collado Mediano, are part of the Sierra del Castillo (1,343 m).
Ivan Sache, 5 July 2015