This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Estremera (Municipality, Community of Madrid, Spain)

Last modified: 2016-05-16 by ivan sache
Keywords: estremera |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



See also:


Presentation of Estremera

The municipality of Estremera (1,410 inhabitants in 2014; 7,910 ha; municipal website) is the easternmost municipality of the Community of Madrid, located on the border with Castilla-La Mancha (Province of Guadalajara).

Estremera was established in 1006 by colonists from Annos, a village today part of the municipality of Almoguera (Guadalajara) - the legend says that the colonists fled ants that had invaded their village, from Casasola and from Santiago de la Vililla. The toponymy indicates that the village was already settled by the Moors. Estremera was subsequently transferred to the Order of St. James. It was then surrounded by an earthen wall with a gate protected by two towers, and defended by a castle named Cabeza Lebrera, of which nothing has remained.
After having reincorporated Estremera to the Royal domain, Philip II soon transferred it to Francisco de Mendoza, manager of the Guadaconal mines, subsequently appointed General of the Galleys. Estremera was purchased in 1565 by Rui Gómez de Silva, Prince of Eboli, made by the king Grandee of Spain and Duke of Estremera, a title he swapped in 1572 for Duke of Pastrana, after the town he was the lord. Estremera was then transferred to the Duke of the Infantado, who built there a hunting lodge, soon transformed in a cosy manor.

Ivan Sache, 7 July 2015


Symbols of Estremera

The flag (photos, photo, photo) and arms of Estremera are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 28 July 1994 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 28 September 1994 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 230, p. 17 (text) and on 13 October 1994 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 245, p. 31,892 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular in proportions 2:3. Red panel, charged with a white (argent) two-towered wall masoned and port and windows sable, a white (argent) border in width 1/5 of the flag's width.
Coat of arms: Gules a two-towered wall argent masoned and port and windows sable The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.

Ivan Sache, 7 July 2015