Last modified: 2016-05-20 by ivan sache
Keywords: lozoyuela-navas-sieteiglesias |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Lozoyuela-Navas-Sieteiglesias - Image by Ivan Sache, 11 July 2015
The municipality of Lozoyuela-Navas-Sieteiglesias (1,196 inhabitants in 2014; 5,128 ha; municipal website) is located in the north of the Community of Madrid, 70 km of Madrid. The municipality was established by Decree No. 762, adopted on 20 March 1973 by the Spanish Government and published on 18 April 1973 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 93, p. 7,786 (text), as the merger of the former municipalities of Lozoyuela (902 inh.), Las Navas de Buitrago (65 inh.) and Sieteiglesias (157 inh.).
Lozoyuela is said to have been founded by two inhabitants of Lozoya. The village was located in the buffer zone that separated the Moorish and Christian states. Resettled in the 11th century after the Christian reconquest, Lozoyuela was incorporated into the Community of the Town and Land of Buitrago.
The village was first documented in a serranilla (short poem) written in the 15th century by Íñigo López de Mendoza (1398-1458), 1st Marquis of Santillana (Serranilla III - Illana, la serrana de Lozoyuela - text). In the 16th century, the village was made of two settlements, Lozoyuela and Relaños, a hamlet located near brook Nava Alameda.
Located on the Burgos Royal Road, Lozoyuela experienced a demographic and economical boom in the early 19th century, doubling its population within two decades.
Las Navas de Buitrago was also resettled in the 11th century. The first colonists were shepherds who enjoyed the rich pastures (navas) of the place. The village was among the poorest in the Community of the Town and Land of Buitrago. The villagers had to sell in 1560 a part of the municipal pastures to pay the fencing of the bovine pasture.
Sieteiglesias is located on a secondary branch of a Roman road shown on the Antonine Itinerary, connecting the valley of Jarama to Sepúlveda through the mountains. A Visigothic necropolis was excavated near the parish church. In the Middle Ages, the Sieteiglesias bridge was a strategic place on the transhumance road.
Ivan Sache, 13 July 2015
The flag of Lozoyuela-Navas-Sieteiglesias (photos) is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 31 July 1997 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 16 October 1997 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 246, pp. 14-15 (text) and on 7 November 1997 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 267, pp. 32,671-32,672 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Proportions 2:3. Blue and green panel diagonally divided from the lower hoist to the fly. In the center is placed the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Lozoyuela-Navas-Sieteiglesias is prescribed by a
Decree adopted on 28 November 1996 by the Government of the Community
of Madrid and published on 15 January 1997 in the official gazette of
the Community of Madrid, No. 12, pp. 4-5 (text) and on 18 February 1997 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 42, p. 5,501 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Or a tree vert, 2. Vert a bull argent. Grafted in base wavy argent and azure. A bordure gules charged with seven churches or. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown.
The seven churches in the bordure undoubtedly represent Sieteiglesias (lit., Seven Churches). On the coat of arms and flag in actual use, they are represented argent instead of or; on the flag, the coat of arms is bordered by a thin yellow outline.
Ivan Sache, 13 July 2015