Last modified: 2016-05-20 by ivan sache
Keywords: majadahonda |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Majadahonda - Image by Ivan Sache, 14 July 2015
The municipality of Majadahonda (70,359 inhabitants in 2014; 3,848 ha; municipal website) is located 20 km west of Madrid. The municipality experienced a demographic boom in the last decades of the 20th century, its population increasing from 5,077 inhabitants in 1970 to 50,683 in 2001.
Majadahonda was most probably established in the 13th century by shepherds from Segovia. Majadahonda was organized as a village in the 16th century, counting them some 400 inhabitants. The village was destroyed in 1812 during the War of Independence, and, again, in 1936-1939 during the Civil War. Majadahonda was rebuilt from scratch on a regular lattice.
Ivan Sache, 14 July 2015
The flag of Majadahonda is prescribed in Article 118 of the Constitution of the Municipality of Majadahonda, adopted on 24 January 2006 by the Municipal Council and published on 14 February 2006 in Supplement No. 1 to the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 38, pp. 50-59 (text). The flag does not appear to have been officially approved.
The flag is described as "the traditional flag, [...], made of the official coat of arms of Majdahonda on a white background". The flag in use (photos, photo), however, has a thin blue border all around.
The coat of arms of Majadahonda is prescribed in Article 117 of the Constitution of the Municipality of Majadahonda, adopted on 24 January 2006 by the Municipal Council and published on 14 February 2006 in Supplement No. 1 to the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 38, pp. 50-59 (text). The coat of arms does not appear to have been officially approved.
The "traditional" coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Shield divided per mantel. A castle or on a blue background. A sheep pen at the foot of a snowy mountain, ensigned by a lying sheep all proper on a green background. A bunch of black grapes proper on a background argent. The shield surmounted by golden crown.
The coat of arms was designed by Tomás Descalzo (b. 1923). Born in Majadahonda, Descalzo is the author of the books Memorias de un majariego and Historias de Majadahonda; also a sculptor, he offered two statues to his birth town, which were erected on the Gran Vía and in the central western part of the town.
The first quarter of the shield recalls the origin of the village and makes the arms canting (majada, a sheep pen). The second quarter represents the local vineyards. The third quarter features the castle of Almenara de Villafranca.
Ivan Sache, 14 July 2015