This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Valdemanco (Municipality, Community of Madrid, Spain)

Last modified: 2016-05-23 by ivan sache
Keywords: valdemanco |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Valdemanco - Image by Ivan Sache, 30 July 2015

See also:

Presentation of Valdemanco

The municipality of Valdemanco (972 inhabitants in 2014; 1,758 ha; municipal website) is located in the north of the Community of Madrid, 70 km of Madrid and Guadalajara.

Valdemanco was allegedly established in the 16th century by a villager from Bustarviejo, Juan Valdés "El Manco" (The One-Armed Man); since he could not work in field, Valdés founded an inn five km from Bustarviejo. His daughters married men from the town and erected houses close to the father's inn. Valdemanco is indeed first documented in the Libro de la Montería (1312/1350), which lists the house of Muño Manco - probably the source of the aforementioned local legend, but two centuries earlier. Subsequent documents mention Valdemanco as a dependency of Bustarviejo.
The municipality of Valdemanco was established in 1840, separating from Bustarviejo. At the time, the village counted 92 houses and some 400 inhabitants. The railway line Madrid-Burgos allowed transportation of the stone extracted from the local quarries to Madrid, which boosted the development of Valdemanco. The opencast quarries, however, have a strong impact on the environment and the landscape.

Ivan Sache, 30 July 2015

Symbols of Valdemanco

The flag (photos, photo, photo, photo, photo) and arms of Valdemanco are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 12 December 1996 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 23 January 1997 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 19, p. 21 (text) and on 17 February 1997 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 41, p. 5,328 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: In proportions 2:3. Red panel with a white triangle whose points are in the upper angles of the hoist and fly, charged in the center with the crowned municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Per fess serrated argent and vert a tree of the second in chief, 2. Gules a two-storeyed aqueduct on ten rocks all argent The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.
The Royal Academy of History validated the proposed symbols, which include corrections suggested after the rejection of an earlier proposal.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 2001, 198:3, 568]

Ivan Sache, 30 July 2015