This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Valdelaguna (Municipality, Community of Madrid, Spain)

Last modified: 2016-05-23 by ivan sache
Keywords: valdelaguna |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Flag]

Flag of Valdelaguna - Image by Ivan Sache, 30 July 2015


See also:


Presentation of Valdelaguna

The municipality of Valdelaguna (855 inhabitants in 2014; 4,213 ha) is located in the south-east of the Community of Madrid, 50 km of Madrid.
Valdelaguna belonged to the Community of the Town and Land of Segovia, until granted in 1480 by the Catholic Monarchs to the Marquis of Moya. Later on, Duke Cesarini, the last heir of the Cabrera family, sold in 1731 the domain of Chinchón, Valdelaguna included, to Infante Philip.
[El Pais, 23 June 1990]

Ivan Sache, 30 July 2015


Symbols of Valdelaguna

The flag of Valdelaguna (photos, photo) is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 17 July 1989 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 24 August 1989 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 201, pp. 6-7 (text), and on 7 September 1989 in the official Spanish gazette, No. 214, p. 28,491 (text).
The flag is described as follows:

Flag: In proportions 2:3. Yellow panel with the municipal coat of arms in the center (coat of arms approved on 8 June 1989 by the Government of the Community of Madrid).

The coat of arms of Valdelaguna is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 8 June 1989 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 7 July 1989 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 160, p. 8 (text), and on 22 August 1989 in the official Spanish gazette, No. 200, p. 27,051 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:

Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Or a goat rampant sable a bordure compony or and sable, 2. Gules a two-storeyed aqueduct argent masoned sable on ten rocks argent. Grafted in base azure mounts or on waves azure and argent. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.

In April 1987, the municipality hired the Heráldicas Agar company to study the heraldic history of the town. Investigations in the archives of the Royal Academy of History, of the National Library and of the Academy of History and Art of San Quirce of Segovia revealed that the town never used proper symbols.
The coat of arms reflects the history and geography of the place, which is located on the side of two hills and had a lake (laguna) in the 16th century. The first quarter features the canting arms of Cabrera (cabra, "a goat"), while the second quarter is taken form the arms of the Community of the Town and Land of Segovia, featuring the Roman aqueduct of Segovia.
The municipality proposed to adopt a flag with a blue field, but the Community of Madrid accepts only a red or yellow background, the latter colour being eventually selected.
[El Pais, 23 June 1990]

[Flag]

Proposed flag of Valdelaguna - Image by Ivan Sache, 30 July 2015

The Royal Academy of History validated the proposed arms and the proposed flag, but with the originally proposed blue field, recalling that "the norms for the design of such symbols are not always coherent".
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 1990, 187:1, 164]

Ivan Sache, 30 July 2015