Last modified: 2016-05-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: villanueva de perales |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Villanueva de Perales - Image by Ivan Sache, 5 August 2015
The municipality of Villanueva de Perales (1,445 inhabitants in 2014; 3,118 ha; municipal website) is located in the south-west of the Community of Madrid.
Villanueva de Perales was established in the early 15th century, probably by shepherds needing a shelter during transhumance. The village belonged to the Village Council of Perales de Milla, a division of the Community of the Town and Land of Segovia. Perales revolted during the War of the Comuneros, being subsequently sentenced to pay a fee to the Count of Chinchón, as a compensation for the damage caused by the insurgents to his properties.
The municipality of Villanueva de Perales was established in 1820, while Perales de Milla was progressively depopulated, belonging eventually a hamlet of Quijorna. The new Town Hall of Villanueva de Perales was designed in the 1990s by the famous architect Miguel Fisac (1913-2006; awarded the National Prize in Architecture in 2002).
Ivan Sache, 5 August 2015
The flag (photo) and arms of Villanueva de Perales are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 4 February 2003 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 18 February 2003 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 41, p. 21 (text), and on 11 March 2003 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 60, p. 9,620 (text).
The symbols, originally adopted on 4 July 2001 by the Municipal Council, were validated on 21 May 2002 by the Heraldry Assessors (Royal Academy "Matritense" of Heraldry and Genealogy).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: In proportions 2:3, diagonally divided from upper hoist to lower fly into two equal parts the upper part green and the lower part yellow. In the center is placed the crowned coat of arms of the town of Villanueva de Perales.
Coat of arms: Or three pear trees vert. A bordure checky of 16 pieces, eight or and eight vair. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown or.
The pear trees [perales] make the arms canting.
The bordure is taken from the arms of the Velasco lineage, recalling that Antonia de Velasco y López de Moreda was made Marquis of Perales del Río on 24 September 1727 by King Philip V.
The Royal Academy of History validated the proposed symbols "without any difficulty".
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 2004, 201: 3, 508]
Ivan Sache, 5 August 2015